Which Governing Body lie stands out the most to you?

by dissed 23 Replies latest jw friends

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

If their blinders are firmly in place, they won't see it even though it's as plain as day.

I know. They blinds make it hard to look in your windows when I am stalking you.

• dissed
    dissed

IsaacJ - Loved your reasoning, very entertaining, but so clearly true.

And Welcome to the board. Glad you are here...

• dissed
    dissed

Thanks Blondie. As usual, your thoroughness is much appreciated.

Okay, break over. Back to painting..

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The lie that shook me up the most was that the organization cares about its members. I realized something was terribly wrong when the elders tried to bully me into either remaining in a marriage with a dangerously mentally ill husband or stalking him to see whether he would choose to commit adultery or murder.

• Bluegill
    Bluegill

"I no longer count my baptism as valid because of the many changed teachings."

WhiteDove....That statement makes a lot of sense to me. I've never heard it put that way, but I like it! Thanks!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The first governing body lie that stands out to me is that the world was going to end in 1975.

The second gibbering body lie, is that I, a rank and file publisher, thought it up and got ahead of the organization

in my enthusiasm.

• yesidid
    yesidid

That the WTS did not CONSISTENTLY teach that Christ's presence began in 1914 but rather for 30 years until 1929 taught it was 1874.

Same here Blondie,

I had nigglies over the years, but I trusted them. I actually used to think "If there is anyone in the world I can trust it's the leadership of the society".

So when I realised they had deliberately LIED about their past, I was absolutely devastated.

As Len Miller (Fatfreek) says “You can have honest mistakes but not honest lies.”

What follows appears to give the impression that it was always believed and taught that Christ would/did return in 1914. As examples: (Thank you MacHislop)

**w 1952 11/1p.658ABetterBasisforBelief***

16 As for the time of Christ’s second presence, Daniel’s prophecy is again the one that gives the chronology for it. (Dan. 4:16) It was figured out as pointing to A.D. 1914, and The Watchtower called notice to the significance of 1914 in the year 1879.

The April 1, 1953 issue of The Watchtower on page 215 said:

". God purposed to use them as an organization to do a twofold work. First, they must proclaim that the Gentile times that began in 607 B. C. were due to come to an end A. D. 1914, at which time Jehovah would take to himself his official power and begin to reign in the heavens by his anointed King. So for some thirty-seven years prior to 1914 this proclamation was sounded."

* Quote from the year 1965:

--The Watchtower ' , July 15th, 1965 page 428

" As we look back over the years, we can clearly see how God's organization in modern times has progressed in understanding. For example, it learned that Christ's second presence was to be in the spirit, and not in the flesh as many professed Christians believe. His rule would be from the heavens. This was a new revelation of great importance to God's people who had beenanxiously awaiting his second presence toward the end of the nineteenth century.

The 1975Yearbook page 37 said:

"Even earlier, however, C. T. Russell wrote an article entitled "Gentile Times: When Do They End?" It was published in the Bible Examiner of October 1876, and therein Russell said: "The seven times will end in AD 1914."He had correctly linked the Gentile Times with the "seven times" mentioned in the book of Daniel. (Dan. 4:16, 23, 25, 32) True to such calculations, 1914 did mark the end of those times and the birth of God's kingdom in heaven with Christ Jesus as king. Just think of it! Jehovah granted his people that knowledge nearly four decades before those times expired."

*** w 198412/1 pp. 13-14 Happy Are Those Found Watching!

20 Russell and his associates quickly understood that Christ’s presence would be invisible. They disassociated themselves from other groups and, in 1879, began publishing spiritual food in Zion’s Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence. From its first year of publication, this magazine pointed forward, by sound Scriptural reckoning, to the date 1914 as an epoch-making date in Bible chronology. So when Christ’s invisible presence began in 1914, happy were these Christians to have been found watching!

The greatest Man who ever lived . 1991

*** gtchap.132AtGod’sRightHand***

A careful study of Bible prophecies, including Jesus’ own prophecy regarding the last days, reveals that “the Lord’s day” began in the history-making year 1914, yes, within this generation! So it was in 1914 that Jesus returned invisibly, without public fanfare and with only his faithful servants being aware of his return. In that year Jehovah gave Jesus the command to go subduing in the midst of his enemies.

The March 22, 1993 issue of Awake! said on page 10:

"If you are inclined to dismiss all of this as pie in the sky, too good to be true, pause again and reflect. In addition to the features of the composite sign of Christ Jesus' presence, there is Bible chronology that pointed to 1914 as the beginning of his presence. Jehovah's Witnesses published the date 1914 as a significant year in the development of Jehovah's Kingdom rule of the earth, doing so in the Watch Tower magazine of July 1879. Many historians and observers of world affairs have noted that the year 1914 ushered in an entirely different and significant period in human history, as the accompanying box indicates."

Then in the Watchtower March 1 2004 page 14 paragraph 6

The ten virgins remind us of anointed Christians before 1914. They had calculated that the bridegroom, Jesus Christ, was about to make an appearance . Hence, they “went out” to meet him, boldly preaching that “the appointed times of the nations” would end in 1914. Luke 21:24.”

• bobld
    bobld

You see the JW is ONE big family and if someone tells a lie they will stick together it doesn't matter.So no one lie will fizz on a JW,they are loyal thru and thru.

B

• teel
    teel
    the elders told me that their dumbass decisions were Jesus Christ's decisions because they are the stars in his right hand according to Revelation and that I have a problem with pride for questioning them.

This had me laughing out loud. You have a problem with pride by questioning that they are the stars in Jesus' hand! I am chosen by God to deliver His will! Anyone not agreeing does it because they are too pride to accept me. It's incredible how some actually buy that stuff too.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I jumped in here pretty fast after 12 years of being an apologist and learnt them all in one big whack on the back of the head!

In some sort of order though:

1. Child custody booklet

2. Mexico/ Malawi

3. U.N

4. C.O.C

then my head spun for quite some time...

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit