How many you you hated to wait in the car while someone was on a good call!

by life is to short 34 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Are you kidding me? I'd rather wait in the car with a schizophrenic than go door to door.

• peaches
    peaches

((((((((((((((((((((((( life is too short ))))))))))))))))))))))))) precious hugs for you and your situation....

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I loved it when we'd go on calls (because I didn't have any, so either got to sit in the car and not talk, or else stand next to the person with the call and not talk), or else when we'd do "early morning service", which involved leaving our extra older issues of the magazines in laundromats, bus stops and doughnut shops. Anything to avoid knocking on a door and pestering people.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Pioneering was always easier if you could wait it out while someone had a few "good calls" You could catch a good nap too. The elders meetings were another story. I just couldn't take sitting around with the elders' wives after the meeting gossipping. It drove me crazy. I always took the car and told my husband to get a ride home.Or I'd catch a ride with someone. If we knew in advance about the elders' meeting he would drive his car.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest LITS... may you have peace!

Please, PLEASE... forgive me for saying this: I truly mean NO harm or offense, but just want to give you something to think about. Are YOU being honest with your husband? Have you TOLD him how you feel... about him, about the WTBTS, about your life? Here's the thing: unless he made some promises before you got married indicating he was going to do more than he was doing once you got married... it sounds to ME like he did try to be honest with you: he was a non-employed pioneer when you married him... and apparently is the same now. I don't understand why people believe they have a right to expect spouses to CHANGE... once and just because they are married... without promises TO change having been made.

But it actually doesn't sound like HE'S changed; it sounds like YOU'VE changed. For the better, perhaps, yes. But he sounds like the same old WTBTS blind zombie that you married... and that YOU just couldn't "see" that at the time. Now, though, you "see." And that's okay.

It may be, however, that if YOU grow the courage to be honest with HIM... HE may choose to unburden YOU. One way or another. I mean, the way it usually goes is that, under the circumstances, the WTBTS would be more than happy to give HIM justification to leave YOU. Which might just take the entire matter off your hands... and off your conscience. Alternatively, he MIGHT just want to know WHY you feel as you do... and even look into it. But if he's truly the "company man" you seem to imply... he will most probably want to "put [you] off" as a wife. Either way, you stand to "win."

Some may disagree that it's not always good to tell the truth; and that may be. Somethings, although true, don't NEED to be said. But SOME things should. And your feelings, as you've expressed them here... particularly that you now know the WTBTS to be a fraud (well, in so many words)... is something you might want to let him know. And if he neither wishes to know why... or put you off... but is still willing to do his part as your HUSBAND, again, you win. If he doesn't continue to be "agreeable" to live with, then YOU can leave him... and no longer be "bound" to HIS law... to the saving of YOUR conscience.

But who knows... you might even find out that he feels the same way YOU do... but has been scared to tell YOU. That has happened, even for some here. At any rate, if he is man who believes in and follows the Bible, which I am willing to bet he will say he is, then he should be reminded that:

"Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." 1 Timothy 5:8

Which, if what you state is true, he seems to have overlooked (yet, I don't doubt that, as an elder, he knows of it, has probably even counseled others about it!). Indeed, supposedly, the only way he CAN "pioneer" and "serve as an elder" is IF he can also take care of his household as well. He CHOSE to take on a wife, to whom, according to the teachings of HIS faith... he must care for. Not the other way around.

You may see your current situation as a dilemma as you may feel you have no true "grounds" to leave him... but you certainly have grounds to be honest with him because being truthful IS a "requirement" of a marriage union, isn't it?

I hope this helps and, again, bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I lived in the city - so 'car waits' were not too bad. I actually preferred them to door-knocking and/or talking to someone.

I would usually daydream if stuck in the car... I think I even did that at the doors, too.

Regards,

Jim TX

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I like it. Gave me some sham time. As a pioneer , I was like a cab driver.....my meter was running.

Now on Saturdays, either I was ready to go out and enjoy my saturday, or the college football game of the week was on ABC, and then you were pressing my patience.

Flipper, you are the exception,lol

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I was about 10 years old and I waited in the car for like an hour alone. My mother and a "sister" were at a "back call" . I entertaned my self by playing with the electric windows and killing ants with the cigerete lighter. They got back and the car did not start and my mom said whats that smell?

• Too Opinionated
    Too Opinionated

I loved the long calls! Anything to waste time. I would gladly have sat in the car all day rather than knock on doors.

• thepackage
    thepackage

I'd read a book or newspaper adn drink coffee. Like many have already indicated, the less i was at a door the better. One Elder had this call, who was lonely and loved to talk to anybody, I'd take him all the time and sit in the car reading for 30 minutes. By the time we left the Hall, got to the Call adn left to the next call it was a good wasted hour!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit