worst privelege ever?

by rockmehardplace 43 Replies latest jw friends

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i did security once at a district convention when i was newly in. we had a guy come in and we were told he was some "famous" apostate and we had to follow and keep tabs on him. he walked around the convention site for what seemed like eternity and then just left. kept taking pictures. that afternoon, there was a meeting where it was discussed that he was taking pictures of prominent jws to attack them later with apostate information. turned out the guy was nobody doing nothing but taking pictures. that was a horrible job to just follow and harass people.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Going to the post office, getting the big canvas bags of WT and Awake magazine rolls, hauling them to the KH, (an hour early for the meeting), cutting the rolls open with razor blades, and counting them out into the little shelves per publisher orders.

Then staying late for about an hour after the same meeting, selling them to the publishers, counting the money, turning it in...

Accounts servant sucked, too -

• sir82
    sir82

Sheesh, the memories just keep coming back....

I also did DC security. They used to have security guys sit "prominently" at the corners of the stage, I guess to discourage potential terrorists, who knows. Anyways, it was pure torture, because you knew 8000 people were looking right at you, and the speaker....would...just....drone...on...and...on....and....ON..... but you knew if you fell asleep, your head would bob and 8000 would think you were a goober.

I would literally bite my tongue, pinch myself, anything to cause pain or sensation to keep me awake.

What a nightmare....

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I also did DC security. They used to have security guys sit "prominently" at the corners of the stage, I guess to discourage potential terrorists, who knows.

We were told to keep on the watch for streakers when I had that detail in the early 70s.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Public Talks.

Hated them and often thought of driving my truck into a telephone poll on the way to the KH to get out of them.

I actually enjoyed being the accounts servant.

5th

P.S. How else would you know what the congo gives in donations? One year, I wrote tax receipts for 2 (two) elders out of 10 serving.

• sir82
    sir82

Oh here's another one:

In the late 70's someone had the doubly brilliant idea of (1) making & selling hamburgers at the DC, and (2) recruiting poor saps like me to actually walk up & down the aisles with a huge styrofoam container and offer them to people - for food tickets of course.

I kid you not - just like the peanut guy at a baseball game.

Anyways, aside from the physical pain of hauling around a 20 pound load of burgers in a large unwieldy cooler up and down stairs....

The genius who thought of this apparently didn't think what would happen to 100 or so foil-wrapped burgers in a cooler.

You betcha - by the time you got down to the last 5 or 10 or so, all the grease from the burgers above them had oozed out and pooled and was swirling around at the bottom. Yep, the last burgers were literally submerged in burger grease - and as I recall, people still took them.

I should write a book.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Sitting in Judicial Committee meetings judging others.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes, Straightshooter, J C's were the worst thing we did. But I can identify with so much of what is said here.

5th Gen actually liked being Accounts Servant and hated P Talks...It was the other way around for me. I rather liked the opportunity to go to a different Hall, being the "star guest" of the day and delivering my talk. I don't know that I would do all that for just 30 mins as they do know?

The Accounts job really was the horrible one. I remember walking home though a busy town centre with a bag full of assembly money, looking at the groups of skinheads standing around, and wondering if I was going to get mugged. The paper work seemed an awkward way of keeping records - I hated it !

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Doing the accounts was pretty bad. Esp after 10 years. And then the brothers appointed a sister to do the audits. She was a divorced sister with nothing to do, and she made a huge deal out of everything not done exactly right. I finally approached the brothers and told them to find a new auditor or find a new accounts servant. They promptly found a new auditor.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I was on the Purchasing Team of our RBC with an overseer who wasnt sexist...I was sent to 'handle' the purchasing on a Quick Refurb at a coastal village KH one weekend...as a sister....it was really an admin piece of cake but then the PO of that cong couldnt deal with me being a sister with some authority and made life unbearable the whole weekend....I couldnt wait to leave...

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit