The Born Again Experience

by leavingwt 63 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think you guys misundertood, there is onlY ONE annointed by God, Jesus Christ, the very name Christ means annointed (one)it is not a classof people.

Now, anyone the receives the HS is annointed BY the Spirit, sealed by it, but that does NOT equal being the Christ.

Jesus warns about that.

Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.

Gotta be careful how you throw around the word "annointed".

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Either you are born again and thus "anointed" or else you are anti Christ.

No offense Steohen, but thatis even MORE extreme than the JW view od the annointed class and non-annointed.

• Chalam
    Chalam

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (New International Version)

21 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

No offense Steohen, but thatis even MORE extreme than the JW view od the annointed class and non-annointed.

I'm just following the text!

1 John 2:18-20 (New International Version)

Warning Against Antichrists

18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.

Blessings,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Stephen, I see your points.

I think you and I are coming from this at different angles.

The HS is what annointes all christians that make the statement that Jesus is the Son of God, that he died and was ressurected and is at God's side, Oue Lord and Saviour.

The HS is from God and Jesus of course, so by proxy, it is They that annoint us.

But that annointing does NOT equal as being the annointed ones of God like Jesus is, we sahre in that yes, but we are NOT The Holy One, we are NOT the Christ, we do NOT speak for God.

As for 1John, John was speaking of those that were ONCE part of the Christian Faith and went out to preach a different Gospel ( this probably referes to those that preached the ressurection as a "symbolic" event or those that preached that Jesus was only a man, or only spirit), it does NOT refer to thos that have not felt the message of Jesus or have been decieved to believing another message or those that have yet to understand it.

John makes it clear that the antichrist are those that" They went out from us, ", perhaps those that Jesus warned woudl say "I am the christ (annointed one)".

• Chalam
    Chalam

But that annointing does NOT equal as being the annointed ones of God like Jesus is, we sahre in that yes, but we are NOT The Holy One, we are NOT the Christ, we do NOT speak for God.

Understood Christ is unique, the Messiah, the Holy One of God. However, He is the model for us all.

1 John 3:1-3 (New International Version)

1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.

Romans 8:17 (New International Version)

17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Romans 8:29 (New International Version)

29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

Ephesians 5:1-2 (New International Version)

1 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Regarding speaking for God, what do you consider prophesying to be? Acts 19

Acts 19:6 (New International Version)

6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

1 Corinthians 13:2 (New International Version)

2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge

2 Peter 1:21 (New International Version)

21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Blessings,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Understood Christ is unique, the Messiah, the Holy One of God. However, He is the model for us all.

A model to strive for even if unattainable, I agree.

Regarding speaking for God, what do you consider prophesying to be? Acts 19

I regard prophesying as speaking a message from God, not speaking FOR God, that is Jesus' role, He is the Word.

I don't place my stock in prophecies and speaking in tounges, even Paul was not that "impressed" about it, certainly Jesus never put much emphasis on it.

Back to the annointed part if I may:

The word Christ means "annointed", if you believe yourself to be annointed, do you believe yourself to be Chirst?

( By you I am speaking in general and not in specific).

• Chalam
    Chalam

I don't place my stock in prophecies and speaking in tounges, even Paul was not that "impressed" about it, certainly Jesus never put much emphasis on it.

Strange why Paul would say this?

1 Corinthians 14:18 (New International Version)

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

Or this?

1 Corinthians 14:1 (New International Version)

Gifts of Prophecy and Tongues
    1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. Jesus said this

Acts 1:8 (New International Version)

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

One chapter later

Acts 2:15-18 (New International Version)

15 These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
    17 " 'In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
    Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.
    18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy.

I assume from your comments previously you haven't received Spirit baptism or have experienced the gifts of the Spirit? 1 Corinthians 12 , 1 Corinthians 14

Blessings,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Strange why Paul would say this?

Don't be selective, you know that Paul valued it far less than Love as we know but in regards to the WHOLE passage:

14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue a does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. b 3 But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, c but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, d unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

6 Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

13 For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16 If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand e say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17 You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I assume from your comments previously you haven't received Spirit baptism or have experienced the gifts of the Spirit?

You would be incorrect in that assumption.

My lord has revealed much to me, but only when I ask and to be honest, certain things I do NOT want to know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit