Why do even inactive Jw's play the shunning game?

by AK - Jeff 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have contacted a half dozen people thru facebook. All of these people I have known for 2 decades, most more than that. In every case, I have not been overly apostate in my statements - just a simple hi, hello, and how ya' doin' type message to them in private.

Nearly all of them fall into one of two categories: Never been a Jw, just studied, maybe attended meetings for a while, likely not doing so nowadays. Or, was once a Jw, not very zealous/faithful/active. I don't think any of them have been inside the KH for years - perhaps for years before I left even.

Yet I get no responses from them. I know that I have been deeply slandered in the congregation - likely known as an evil apostate to some of these people.

I posit that these people, even minimally subjected to the mind control techniques of the Watchtower, are so afraid of 'Jehovah's wrath' at Armageddon that though they likely assume themselves to be currently in the 'bird food' section of Jehovah's death store, that I, the evil apostate, am so much worse than they are that they dare not answer my message.

Anyone else find this to be the case, and on some level more than a little disturbing?

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am in inactive JW and I love you and my other DF/DA/faded friends.

I haven't tried this on FB. But I have to agree that if I were to contact inactive dubs, they would change if they discovered my beliefs and start shunning me. They are not really free of it. Try to remember that.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

You are in a special category, Jerry.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Because they are looking for a cheap ticket to Paradise. It is a lot easier to shun someone than it is to put in 10 hrs a month knocking on doors in field service, study and attend meetings regularly. The real E ticket is to be in a position to stand between a loved one and a life saving blood transfusion. Slam Dunk!

• undercover
    undercover
    I posit that these people, even minimally subjected to the mind control techniques of the Watchtower, are so afraid of 'Jehovah's wrath' at Armageddon that though they likely assume themselves to be currently in the 'bird food' section of Jehovah's death store, that I, the evil apostate, am so much worse than they are that they dare not answer my message.

I'd say that covers it right there...

or

You're an asshole that no one wants to associate with... (just kidding)

That's kinda why I don't do Facebook. I have a feeling too many people wouldn't care so much about the JW angle, but my assholiness might be off putting...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

This is a great question, Jeff, and another similar question is, why do so many who are inactive still refuse blood transfusions?

It seems the more dire and dangerous (even life-sacrificing) the dogma is, the deeper the brainwashing is rooted.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

AK-Jeff..

They still Believe..You don`t..

That makes them more Special than you..

Even though regular JW`s will have nothing to do with them..

LOL!!..

They deserve to be laughed at..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• cantleave
    cantleave

The problem Jeff is these ones are not associating but still believing. They live a life filled with guilt and WT fears. I feel sorry for them because they have not escaped the cult.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I personally feel they DO that because it's easier to SHUN shomeone that is actually 'marked' or officially DF'd/DA'd - then for the inactive person (who is shunning) to LOOK in a mirror and admit that they themselves are just as f*cked up as the next person!

I actually work with 2 fleshly sisters who are and have been inactive for YEARS!!! These woman are both baptized, and both were well liked in the org, but chose to fall away and live their lives - which is fine. Both have dated, shacked up with, and formally MARRIED non-JWs...all public knowledge of their JW families AND also an elder and his pioneer wife who are VERY close to this entire family. Nobody shuns these women when they are are out and about showing off their husbands and haven't set foot in a Khall for years....the elder/pioneer wife have dinner parties and OPENLY celebrate anniversaries/dinners/and births WITH these baptized inactive sisters, and yet I am DF'd and spoke in passing to BOTH of these 'sisters' at work and both of them acted 'put off' by our conversation!!!! I didn't talk about Biblical things, I didn't talk about what I went through, and I didn't even go into Khall 'talk'...it was simple Hi How are you doing? type of thing. Now when I see them, they shuttle past me barely lifting their heads to say a WORD - and I find it ironic purely because these women are no better then I am. Only difference is that I was woman enough to stand up and take what was dealt to me....

• blondie
    blondie

I had active jws shun me when I was active, a pioneer, an elder's wife, commenting at every meeting....I figure they have decided that knowing you doesn't advance their social standing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit