Jehovah's Witnesses---A Religion That Does Nothing For Anyone

by minimus 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

When I ask my wife about this, she just says that the witnesses do not make a 'big show' of it like churches do.

Gary... can you ask your wife to give examples of this. I don't know of any personally, this is why I ask.

Looking out for the interests of nonjws is never encouraged.

In my family, it was actually discouraged... frequently. Things that were said include ... 'All charities are corrupt', 'only a very small amount, if any of the money donated actually gets to the people in need'. I think if the WTS let their people get more actively involved in helping out in their communities, they'd be viewed differently and the JWs would be happier. It is when we plan, learn, take action, and execute on our plans that we feel happy and fulfilled. Of course, this can't be allowed as many JWs would be stumbled about their faith.

They will destroy a family, if the elders tell them so and so is no longer a JW and not of "our sort".

It's not just the elders that do this. This is part of their core teaching. It runs throughout all their literature. Once my parents became baptized JWs, our family was never the same. There is a schism now that will never be repaired. The family was torn apart. My Dad is a lonely old man now, without his family.

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, Da Judge is right!

The bottom line is: death to anyone not becoming a JW!!

JWs do NOT waste their time helping those that are of no consequence to them. Remember 9/11? I heard many JWs speak about how this was really nothing (the deaths, misery, destruction) compared to the Great Tribulation.....How sweet!!!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Heaven - 'only a very small amount, if any of the money donated actually gets to the people in need'.

I heard this continually as a reason to never donate to charity. Is it something made up by the WT? The WT itself is a 'charity'...and how much of what is donated goes where the 'donatees' think it does..?

• Podobear
    Podobear

Spoken like the gay drunken philanderer that you are JudgeRutherford... you fail to see people just an Organisation... which is why most of us left your Printing and Publishing corporation. I have no desire to go back to my local Kingdom Hall until I see change...THEN, I willingly go back and associate with the good people I loved.

Mock as much as you want... the VAST majority of JW's do what they are doing, did what they did... out of good motive. When they chuck out the marketing and sales pitches.. I will certainly reconsider.

Moshe, I am criticizing the broad strokes.. that is all. And, I agree, conscience matters should be just that. Would you lampoon every Jew because a few reject Porcine Insulin (formerly at their peril) for example.

Folks live and die by conviction.. even Ray Franz acknowledged that ALL of us will face such crises in our lives. All I have done on this thread is to build up the valliant and sincere personal efforts of many JW's. What the corporation wants to promote is another matter. All the best.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I thought this You Tube item to be especially relevant to this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0rOhxRmDoY

• Podobear
    Podobear

Yup, precisely Room125... also read the article written on March 10, 2010 in the Dominican Today (www.dominicatoday.com) about the JW who shielded a student she was teaching and literally saved her life and forfeited her own.

The article outlines the active JW relief programme very well too. Just goes to show when adversity strikes, that good hearts and love transcend perceived religious protocols. Coffeevanchick (above) I believe is now a confirmed Atheist.

It is great to be able to express opinions here without censor.. thank you.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Well, well, well, Podobear, how ironic that you make that statement, "It is great to be able to express opinions here without censor.. thank you...."

Since so many of us who have attempted to make comments on JW sites have been swiftly censored and brutally excised...

But to get to your question, paraphrased... "Where does the Watchtower state that an active JW cannot contribute to a charitable organization?"

When I looked up "Charitable Organizations" on the OFFICIAL Watchtower website, this was the first article that came up...

From the OFFICIAL Watchtower website: http://www.watchtower.org/ the article: http://www.watchtower.org/e/19970601/article_01.htm

"Secret Societies- How Great the Threat?
    Why All the Secrecy? (In this series: Why All the Secrecy? Secrecy in the Name of the Lord ...)

(Related topics: Should You Believe Everything You Hear? Who Really Rules the World?)

"NOTHING is so burdensome as a secret." Or at least so claims a French proverb. Could this explain why we feel good when we know a secret but sometimes frustrated when we cannot talk about it? Yet, over the centuries many people have welcomed secrecy, joining themselves together into secret groups in pursuit of a common goal.

Among the earliest of these secret societies were the mystery cults found in Egypt, Greece, and Rome. Later some of these groups wandered from their religious background and took on political, economic, or social overtones. For example, when guilds were formed in medieval Europe, their members resorted to secrecy primarily for economic self-protection.

Secret groups in modern times have often been formed for quite honorable reasons, possibly for "social and benevolent purposes," according to the Encyclopædia Britannica, and "to carry out charitable and educational programs." Some fraternal organizations, youth clubs, social clubs, and other groups are also secret, or at least semisecret. Generally, these groups are innocent, their members simply finding secrecy exciting. Secret rites of initiation have strong emotional appeal and strengthen the bonds of camaraderie and unity. Members gain the feeling of belonging and a sense of purpose. Secret societies of this kind usually are no threat to nonmembers. Outsiders are none the worse off for not knowing the secrets.

When Secrecy Signals Danger
    Not all secret groups are secret to the same degree. But those that have "secrets within secrets," as the Encyclopædia Britannica expresses it, pose a particular danger. It explains that "by the use of special names, ordeals or revelations," members of the top ranks manage to "set themselves apart," thereby stimulating "the lower ranks to the effort necessary to reach the exalted degrees." The danger inherent in such groups is obvious. Those in the lower echelons may be completely unaware of the real objectives of the organization, not having as yet progressed to that level of revelation. It is easy to become involved in a group whose goals and methods of achieving them are only partially recognized and, indeed, perhaps not even fully shared. But the person who has been initiated into such a group may later find it difficult to free himself; he is, as it were, bound by chains of secrecy.

Secrecy signals even greater danger, however, when a group pursues illegal or criminal goals and therefore tries to hide its very existence. Or if its existence and general aims are known, it may try to keep its membership and its short-term plans secret. This is true of highly motivated terrorist groups that periodically shock the world with their terrorist attacks.

Yes, secrecy can be dangerous, both for individuals and for society as a whole. Think of the secret teenage gangs that violently prey upon innocent victims, criminal associations like the secretive Mafia, white supremacy groups like the Ku Klux Klan,* not to mention the many terrorist groups around the world that continue to thwart efforts to achieve world peace and security.

What Are They up to Now?
    During the 1950's, as a by-product of the Cold War, secret groups were organized in several Western European countries to serve as the basis for resistance movements should the Soviets ever try to conquer Western Europe. According to the German newsmagazine Focus, for example, "79 secret weapon depots" were set up in Austria during this period. Not all European countries were even aware of these groups. A newsmagazine realistically reported in the early 1990's: "Still unknown are how many of these organizations are alive today and what they may have been up to lately."

Yes, indeed. Who can really know how many secret groups may at this very moment be posing a threat greater than any of us might imagine?

* This U.S. group kept some of the religious elements of earlier secret societies by using a burning cross as its symbol. In the past, it carried on nighttime raids, its members being dressed in robes and white sheets and venting their rage against blacks, Catholics, Jews, foreigners, and organized labor...."

End article...

I wonder, Podobear, whether you are able to see the supreme irony in the selection of that article (it was the first article listed!!!) in response to my search for "Charitable Organizations"...

I also wonder whether you can understand the phrase, "Regulation by Implication"... Describing the Watchtower organization's method of controlling its members without actually putting anything IN WRITING that would reveal their underlying agenda... Or that they could be held LEGALLY LIABLE for...

Zid

• Podobear
    Podobear

Cheers ziddinia.. thanks for the thoughts.. but I did not ask that question. I know you are psychic but... LOL All the best, hope the mountain weather is treating you kindly. Regards, Podobear.

• minimus
    minimus

JWS SUCK.

• Podobear
    Podobear

Suck what, minimus? There are some mighty fine people amongst them... and other religious subsets.. get over the anxiety matey and start living your life and finding your own goals. Be happy to be free... and move on.. without tarnishing the good you left behind. It's the only way forward!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit