Jehovah's Witnesses---A Religion That Does Nothing For Anyone

by minimus 72 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The reality is: Jehovah's Witnesses benefit no one but themselves!

Multiple COs have said that (in kinder words with loads of spin). The witnessing benefits the brothers more than the world -heard that loads of times. The TMSbenefits brothers speaking skills (allegedly to help the world but in reality no) etc etc etc

• Podobear
    Podobear

Hold on a minute Moshe.. my Dad is still a JW Elder, has been since 1972. I have seen him and others from the Kingdom Hall delivering supplies to the needy in the community and do many things to help out. He is the First Aid co-ordinator at the circuit assemblies and uses his skills broadly, not just in the congregation.

The Witnesses in my City have furnished all the hospitals with machinery in an attempt to overcome issues related to the refusal of blood.. and that machinery is being well used for Witnesses and non witnesses alike.

When I was pioneering (10 years in full time service) I was once verbally attacked by the chairlady of the local Methodist church for not having a full time job and contributing to the tax system, leeching off Society. She backed off when I stood up for myself (unusual for a cowering JW normally) and said that the Elders in my congregation would not allow me to Pioneer if I was unable to support myself and pay my way.. and besides, I said, we are in the middle of a bad recession... if everyone had job-share like me, that would bring the unemployment statistics down, get shed loads off benefits and there would be a reduced fiscal deficit. She was astonished and apologetic, I bid her farewell and FOR ONCE I felt good for standing up to people who judge before they know the facts!

Moshe, please, a lot of our former brothers and sisters wear their hearts on their sleeves and their faith prompts them to act individually and spontaneously for the good of others. At the risk of sharing tight-fisted jokes directed at Scotsmen, Yorkshiremen and Jews.. don't overlook the widow's mite in favour of the huge handouts - often given boastfully by those who can well afford it anyway - and often as a tax avoidance!

Get some perspective here, please. Well, said Truthlover.... good on 'yer

• Lieu
    Lieu

The religion sucks the life out of its followers.

More like it kills the spirit and sucks the joy out of followers.

• truthlover
    truthlover

Moshe:

I dont think u will find anything in th WT lit that tells you to do so OR not to do so -- my only understanding for this was that if it isnt supporting a religious org, then its a conscience matter -- I have seen the names of brothers and sisters listed in hospital ref materials who have donated to them, so this is not a made up scenario...

Recently had a re instated sister, who has a child -- she says everyone in the cong. is asking what she needs -- mostly has her apt complete now with electrical applicances, furniture and food....

Parents sign up as monitors for the school rooms, some of the kids are in plays and the parents help in that area.....

In the cong - there are bros who are constantly working for others to help out - those of little means who have car trouble, taking in food stuffs, giving furniture, etc. one bro has been driving folks to the hall since he was 16 and he is now 65 and never complains.... not to mention phone calls when sickness hits.. so whereever these horror stories are coming from, what did you do to make a difference? There are some elders who NEVER call on those who are having difficulties -- I know that side too - but each person will be judged individually

So as I peruse these hard and fast judgemental conversations, it makes me wonder, what did you and all those passing judgement do to make a difference?? Nothing is easy and yes there are many times I question, but as one says -it sucks the life out of you, well life just sucks anyway, just try to make a difference...

• designs
    designs

The old Commentary on James book was the last to suggest doing something practical as a display of one's spiriuality, and it got quickly shelved.

We could however all sit 3 in a car while others do a RV ............... that helped feed the hungry

• Podobear
    Podobear

Go for it Truthlover... good lady! You are sweet. At the age of 16 I stood with WT's on the forecourt of Hamburg Metropolitan station with many other JW's of many nationalities. German is not one of my languages. I got talking to a Californian who had moved to the city where his wife's family resided. I asked him why he had moved from the beautiful sunny west coast, opulent USA, in exchange for re-emerging bombed out Hamburg (this was 1972)... He replied.

He was unjustly side-lined and dismissed from his job... in accordance with U.S. benefit law at that time he was not entitled to benefits, due to dismissal from his work for a mimimum of 6 months.. he it financial hard times. NOT ONE in his very wealthy congregation acknowledged him, not a glimmer of help.. not that he asked for it.

One day there was a ring at the door bell. He anwered the door to find a cardboard box filled with supplies and a car heading off down the road. He was able to note the registration number.

He tracked it.. The plate belonged to a recently baptised, unmarried black mother of one from his congregation.

Go figure Moshe... there are hearts of gold within the WT movement. RE-evaluate... and thank you Truthlover.. this one is close to my heart.

I LOVED my brothers and sisters... why has the WT turned the congregations at large into cold, marketing, fund-raising sales units?????????? All the best Truthlover.. {boughs with respect}

• Will Power
    Will Power

Aren't there all kinds everywhere?

Some people need (and want) to be told everything, how to act, when and how to be compassionate, how and when to give.

Some organizations believe it is their place to make the laws for such actions.

Others have the giving spirit inside and do not need instructions by an outside organization.

The bible calls it the 'Christ within'.

some call it your budda nature

Its a sad day when you judge your brother (or sister)

• truthlover
    truthlover

Minimus -- were you not an elder once?? You have been on the board for over 7 years and still no identifying marks on your member list

or are you still an elder?

There is a law of conscience and I and others use it

I did not feel bad when I donated my dozen or so large bags clean or dry cleaned clothing to the Diabetes society or they ship it to Africa to help the poor, I dont mind making baked goods or a meal for sick neighbours -- I know of those who have given money(lately one brother offerered over $10,000.00 to another bro who was undergoing treatments) others who have given monies without any promoise of repayment because of hard times ... if someone needs their house work done because they are too sick to do it, or are moving and need a house cleaned, a bunch of us get together and do it...

When bros and sisters are travelling to poorer countries, they load up with school materials, clothes, etc that a school can use... and I mean a regular school

Where do such caustic remarks come from on this board?

I do know that there have been adults who have complained and complained the elders never visit, but when they do and give biblical advice, no one wants to hear it, and then they continue on the same course for years, no real changes, jut complaints and live on the fringe of the JW's...

P Bear and W Power -- nice of you folks to kick in -- sometimes when I check the boards I like to see what is being said but this is an unfair one

The Bible tells us all not to let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.. so no one really does -- they just do it

Cheers

Hope no one is offended

• Will Power
    Will Power

Well you know - individuals doing charitable things compared to an organization who in general does not are two entirely different things.

In that case, I personally and on behalf of my family as an organization could file for charitable status and demand my religious rights not to be taxed.

I do believe cities and governments have the right to assess an organization's contribution to society when deciding exemption status. Contributor vs freeloader kind of thing.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they have freedom of worship.

wp

• dgp
    dgp

Marked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit