The most inefficient workers in history

by RunningMan 32 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Have you ever noticed that no one ever seems to convert a new JW in the door to door work anymore? I thought this was a little odd, so I did some calculations to see if my observations were correct.

Last year, there were 107,218 JWs in Canada. They reported 18,544,473 hours of field service. This activity resulted in 2,030 new baptisms. Now, let's calculate their efficiency.

Each Witness averaged 173 hours in field service during the year. Every baptism came as a result of 9,135 hours of reported activity. Another way of stating this is that it took 53 JW person-years of activity to generate one baptism. This does not seem terribly efficient, but it is really just the tip of the iceberg.

If you attend a convention, you will find that the majority of newly baptized members are not converts from outside the organization. Approximately 90% of them are children of their own members. It is not necessary to canvass from door to door in order to contact your own children. So, of those 2,030 baptisms last year, only about 200 of them represent actual converts.

Now let's rerun the calculation, using more realistic numbers. Each convert came as a result of 91,352 hours of field service activity, or 529 person-years. This seems to be a grossly inefficient use of labor.

How many doors must JW's knock on, in order to make a convert? Well, that depends on the type of activity. If a Witness is conducting a Bible study, then one call could take a full hour, or possibly even more. If that same person is calling on new territory, then 20 or 30 calls could be made in an hour. If we make the assumption that each hour of field service generates five house calls, then 456,760 doors must be approached to find one convert. Since the average Canadian household contains 2.6 persons, then a total population of almost 1.2 million must be contacted in order to make one JW convert.

But, it gets even worse than this. I have given them the benefit of the doubt and assumed that all 203 of these converts came as a result of the door to door work. Really, many of them came into contact with the Witnesses through informal methods, such as friends, relatives, and coworkers.

So, based on these numbers, it appears that they would be better off to stay home and put a small ad in the paper. What a waste of effort!

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

How many people was Noah able to convince to get inside the ark in 120 years of preaching work?

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

actually we just had 2 new dedicated servants found in the door work.
    Praise be to Jah. One of them was raised a devout Jew. and the
    other was raised a memember of the Assembley of God...truly Jehovah
    continues to bless the work with the invitation "let us go to the
    mountain of jehovah"

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Oh spare me nytelecom.

Praise be to Jah? Almost sounds Islamic in your word structure. Doesnt sound too Dubbish for lingo.

If those figures indeed prove correct considering how many children of Dubs are smart enough not to follow in their parents footsteps.. perhaps within a few years the world can be eradicated of the WTS Menace.

Ahh.. wishful thinking.

Then again Im sure nytelecom here will tell us Armageddon is coming tomorrow.

HA

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

The only thing I would question is using "90% as children of Witnesses" factor. Do others of you see that as an approximate number? At any rate, your point is well-made!
    Randy Watters

Net Soup!
    http://www.freeminds.org/

Watchtower Store
    http://www.freeminds.org/sales/menuframes.htm

• LB
    LB

So YoYo you're saying that Noah sucked too????

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• TR
    TR

Nice website, Nytelegeek. How do the elders 'feel' about it?

TR

"YK is his name, false prophecy is his game"

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    Then again Im sure nytelecom here will tell us Armageddon is coming tomorrow.

Armageddon may indeed come tommorow..or the day after or a year from
    now..or 10 seconds after I hit reply on this post..whatever the day or the Hour..let Jehovahs servants be concerend with the sanctification of his Great and Holy name..and let all of Jehovahs servants rejoice at all those who are refreshing themselves with the spiritual water found in Jehovahs service..Praise be to Jah

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

For all those reported Canadian hours, I sure don't seem to get many visits to my house.
    I have lived in the same home for 13 years, and as far as I recall, there has only been one JW couple knocking on our door. We have had Mormons fairly regularly.

Having read so much on this site, I almost wish they would come by. I would say "thank you very much" and take their little magazines, because I am curious. I would be pleasant, because they really think they are doing me a favour, but there is no way I would study or join them. So, I guess calling on me would be a waste of time for them.

By the way, does anyone know the actual rate of retaining children born into witness families as active adult witnesses?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"How many people was Noah able to convince to get inside the ark in 120 years of preaching work?"

This is a very interesting question. If you do a little calculating, you will find that Methuselah died only a few months before the flood. This fact is backed up by a chart which can be found in the 1951 Watchtower.

Why didn't Noah manage to convince Methuselah that the end was near? Hell, he probably knew Adam personally.

Actually, if you take the Bible's dates, times, and events literally, you can get into all sorts of trouble like this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit