HELP! Future soldier looking to join!

by megawatt 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• awildflower
    awildflower

I'm guessing you have never ever been in a position to make a legal claim of being a conscientious objector before, so you would not be lying.

That's the key right there. If you've never been faced with that situation, you've never conscientiously objected to anything. Join the military, I don't think you'll regret it. If you can stick it out the 20 years your benefits and job opportunities will be well worth it.

• not a captive
    not a captive

The oath of naturalization meant that you turned from your birth country to consciously embrace this one. The same principle sapplies if you left your "birthright" status as a Witness (your baptism was unwilling, you say?). If you really believe that everything you learned as a child was crooked then you never were a conscientious objector (conscientious=conscience) because it wasn't you heart-felt conviction--and you might say "No".

BUT, aside from rejecting the Witness package, if you actually DID believe the teachings of Jesus are a restraint against killing for national/political interests then it would be hard to deny that you had harbored the sense that it was wrong to fight in the armed forces. That's how it looks to me.If you relly felt Jesus disapproves then "yes" you were a conscientious objector. And maybe you still are?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer to your question, and I wish that none of the young people who are joining the military would have to go to Iraq. That being said, I have a young friend who is also signing up to be a medic. Would you mind corresponding with him about your experience thus far? Let me know, and I can pm you his contact information.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

magawatt: "I rather roll up my sleeves and do my part."

And you don't see a peaceful productive way to help you fellow man? You think killing off anyone who is different is the way to go?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I suspect the teachings of a religion you "were forced to be baptized into" as a 15-year-old and abandoned as an adult is not what they're asking about. Did you ever officially claim CO status, for example when registering for the draft? That's the question you should be answering, because it can (will!) turn up in a security background check. Denying something that's on record is likely to have bad consequences in the long run.

• cameo-d
  • cameo-d
    cameo-d

Beware of all who dangle carrots!

If you learned anything at all from your WT experience, it should be to question and to investigate.

Lack of disclosure and bait and switch tactics are the way of the world.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/29/eveningnews/main4057096.shtml

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Remember one soldier that served his country in a most auspicious way, as Supreme Commander European Allied Forces, Dwight D. Eisenhower. He also served as NATO commander after WW2.

He was raised by a mother who was a member of the Bible Students during Pastor Russell's time. My understanding is that his mother and father were both pacifists, but the Watchtower in those days actually encouraged young men to fight for their country. I was when Rutherford took over that conscientious objection became the directive and the norm for JWs.

So Eisenhower is a good example of someone who was raised in a Watchtower household, but followed his own path and went on to make a difference in history and our country's future.

Don't make your decision on anything you may or may not have committed to as a child JW. If you were under 18 nothing you agreed to is binding under law, and in most states it is 21. So if you want to go fight the muslim hordes and the North Koreans, then follow your own conscience. Plus in today's environment, a military career can be a pretty secure and relatively safe life. It's a lot safer than being a night clerk at 7-11 or a Border Patrol officer in Texas.

• megawatt
    megawatt

For all of those who continue with the "bashing" for my choice to serve...... F**k OFF.....

At 32 years of age, family man and rased in this country for most of my life, I'm well aware of the sacrafice I will have to make when I do sign up, including the deployment over seas.

I can see years of Watchtower indoctrination still haunts some of you with your hasty generalizations and quick to judge attitude.

Yes, I do belive I can contribute more to this coutry serving as a soldier, 1st. And due to mechanical/electrical background, coupled with my test scores and the amount of education I have under my belt, I'll be able to do something I'll enjoy and be challenged at the same time.

UNfortunately, going over my paperwork, I did declare as CO on my initial application and interveiw for citizenship. I belive there is a paper trial despite taking the unmodified oath. The reason being, if I do sign up, it could bite me in the ass when signing up for an MOS with security clearance. And not the mention, that it could be reason for an honorable discharge and can persecuted by law.

• poppers
    poppers

Good luck megawatt. I wish you well.

Cpl. poppers (USMC)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit