HELP! Future soldier looking to join!

by megawatt 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• megawatt
    megawatt

Here's my situation.

I scored pretty well in the asvab and now have my pickings of the available MOS in the army reserves.

Pretty sure I'm shoe in, EXCEPT for a minor detail.

I was a raised a Jehovah's witness as a child and left the religion in my mid 20's. Even when I was brought up in that silly cult, I had a passion for the military and it was hard to walk past the recruiter when my 18th birthday came around and the thought haunted me everyday about the "what if's".

At a point in my life, I believed in this crap, being that I was raised as one since childhood with NO freedom to think for myself and forced to be baptized as a witness at the age of 15.

The cult's propaganda was deep seeded into my thoughts, even when I went to become a naturalized citizen in my 20's, I applied under the "modified OATH" tailored for the witnesses.

Thankfully, I "woke up" before making that horrible mistake and became a citizen with the complete unwavering allegiance and loyalty to the United State. Probably, one of the best days of my life (at least in the top 5).

Now on the questionnaire, it clearly states if you EVER HAVE claim to be a conscientious objector, and obviously I stated YES.

But my recruiter is really bustin' my balls about changing this to no, due to the fact that there's a waiver involved, so on and so forth. In a nut shell, it might throw a monkey wrench in the situation!

I have no criminal record of any kind and considered myself a law abiding citizen and rather NOT lie about my past.

Now what's the deal involved regarding a waiver about my former religion that I have no affiliation with? Can this minor thing be a deal breaker here?

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

This Future 15 tango for the army reserves really needs some right now. MEPS might be this week!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I would not want any experience.

http://www.collateralmurder.com/

I would like to think I wouldn't have needed to benefit from my JW background to know I want nothing to with this.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

Friend, a piece of general advice: look at your conscience, if it is screaming at you to be honest, then be honest without regret. Circumstances come and go all day long, but your conscience is there for a lifetime.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

When in writing were you ever a conscientious objector ? That may have been what you thought ,but did you ever legally declare it ? I really think it is two different things .Just my opinion ....

• dissed
    dissed

I feel you can honestly answer NO. It was during your time of growing and questioning that you considered it. Now you have come to a conclusion, and your conclusion is, you have decided to side with your country. Its all part of the process.

One of Americas greatest warriors claimed and thought he was a C.O. He carefully considered all the matters at hand and came to the conclusion it was his duty to serve and protect his country. If you haven't done so already, read the book or watch the old classic movie, Sargent York. It showed the process he went through, and how he felt the need to put his feelings second to the cause at hand.

Hey, with you, in any way you go now that you've really gained your freedom from the WTS.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Change it to NO. What you believed about the JW's then is nothing compared to what has come to light now about the religion. If you feel that strongly about going into the military there is no reason to list YES now. I'm guessing you have never ever been in a position to make a legal claim of being a conscientious objector before, so you would not be lying. Don't let your past beliefs in this religion take a chance of hurting your future.

Think About It

• dissed
    dissed

Also, I've never had the pleasure to serve, but have many friends and two brothers that were in the Army. And from what they tell me, if the Army asks a question, there is a reason why? They don't waste there time and ink for no good reason.

• JeffT
    JeffT

you have a PM

• megawatt
    megawatt

SLIMBOYFAT-

I know it's not for everyone, and hell, all I know it might not be for me. But, instead of listening to everyone else against or for it, I rather roll up my sleeves and do my part. That's my choice and if every thing goes according to plan, I hope to be in basic by then end of 2010 and followed up with AIT by this time next year.

Whether this conflict is just or not, I can't overlook that something needs to be done, even though the best approach of occupying a nation to protect our interest is in question, we'll find out in the history books down the road.

Till then, I hope my country allows me to serve.

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass
    Thankfully, I "woke up" before making that horrible mistake and became a citizen with the complete unwavering allegiance and loyalty to the United State.

I think you might of hit the snooze button after that brief awakening because you are about to make a huge mistake. Serving in the military where you have absolutely no freedom and where your life has very little value is a lot worse than being a JW. I don't know how old you are or what country you're from, but just look at the most recent war where the United States invaded Iraq because of a lie and sent 1000s of Americans to fight an unnecessary war just so the US can gain control of Iraq's oil. If you join the military, you will be used as a pawn sent to die on the next unnecessary war just to make America slightly richer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit