Does Anyone Like the New Songbook?

by metatron 28 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I'll try not to be 'knee-jerk' critical about this subject but do any Witnesses like the new songbook?

OK, they got rid of some awful lyrics about molesting bees - and downsized references to the ever redundant Jesus - but the music itself sounds like forced piano practice. Trying to sing these slow, pedantic tunes is awkward and painful.

I haven't seen any Witness e-mails about this 'wonderful provision from Jehovah' and his Faithful Hacks, so I wonder if the rank and file aren't enthused either. Can a religion die off by being drained of all emotion and simply bore itself to death?

metatron

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's horrible. I don't know of anyone who likes it.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Hell no. My family are Witnesses and they don't like it. My brother's whole congregation doesn't like the new song book. And I still have to go to meetings, and it's miserable having to fake singing these new songs. There were some old songs that I liked but they changed them. And they are just awful.

• sir82
    sir82

It's perfectly wretched.

They've managed to make people nostalgic for the tepid dreck that was in the brown book - a feat I would have thought was impossible.

• blondie
    blondie

Is there a copy of the new songbook online?

• Dagney
    Dagney

My brother, PO/COBE/musician, H-A-T-E-S it.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Haha!! This is great. I mean, can the Governing Body possilby do anything else to drive more and more people away???

Example #1: This new song book. First, I hear that they are playing some sort of new age music after the drama at the DC's, and then they release this slow, sleepy, boring, horrible song book? Jesus is hardly anywhere to be found, etc?

Example #2: The new generational change. Generations overlap, but the generation Jesus referred to is just one big looooong generation? How the hell do they back that one up biblically?

I swear, it's like they are just pulling crap out of their behind and taking guess from the air. They'd better find another "Oracle" (ala Freddy Franz) and soon, or else it will be over. Their own stupidity is making more and more people wake up. How much more dumbed down and rediculous can they appear?

It's quite boggling.

- Wing Commander

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's on purpose. They consider it a weeding-out process. They only want members who are going to be fully willing to drink the Kool Aid when the time comes. They'd rather have one million members who are willing to die for them than 20 million members who aren't all-in.

• crapola
    crapola

I have not seen one yet. Guess I'm just lucky.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I haven't heard so much as a note from the new songbook, yet I am willing to bash the songs unheard. With all the pathetic reviews I have seen on this forum, along with the fact that the old ones were pathetic to begin with, I am willing to bet that they are all unworthy of the electricity it would take to play them.

No, I have not been perfect in reviewing songs based on past performance, but I can get a pretty good idea. I was able to guess that Sheena Easton's "When The Lightning Strikes Again" would be good based on "Strut", and that 50 Cent would have another CD worth listening to after The Massacre. But, when it comes to negative reviews, if the source put out one clunker and is getting lazier and more dishonest, the next thing they would put out will also be a clunker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit