Does Anyone Like the New Songbook?

by metatron 28 Replies latest jw friends

• logic
    logic

My wife was listening sunday on the phone and I Happened to be listening for a few minutes.

The song was playing and it sound like crap, no beat, just a hodgepodge of notes, no rythym.

I told my wife that it sounds like crap, and she said it was because it was on the phone.

I told her the greastest sound system in the world wouldn't help that thing. She said no

more.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

No, I don't like it and most of the JWs I spoke to don't like it either. At the memorial the song we sang didn't sound as nice as the old one.

• blondie
  • sir82
    sir82

Has anybody noticed that the piano recordings you sing to have been bland-ified as well?

In the recordings from the old songbook, whoever was playing would occasionally throw in additonal notes, particularly on half- and full-note measures, to "jazz up" the tune a bit. Nothing too extravagant or showy, but just a little touch beyond the exact 2-finger chords shown.

In the current recordings, only the notes shown on the page are played, no more, no less. If a whole note fills a measure, there is absolutely nothing else played until the next measure begins.

The new songs sound "empty".

In addition to tuneless melodies and goofy lyrics, any inkling of improvisation and creativty has been squashed.

I wouldn't have thought it possible to make the music more boring than it was....but no one succeeds at failure like the WTBTS.

• carla
    carla

Can a religion die off by being drained of all emotion and simply bore itself to death? -- I love that! and I can only hope.

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

The new songs sound "empty".

I see no better word to describe the lyrics and music of the new song book. The message in the lyrics clearly shows that the GB got their little hands on almost all of the songs. There is no melodic flow, no uplifting emotion, not joy. Was anyone here at the meeting yesterday? Wasn’t that last song just depressing? The old version of that song was murdered.

However, I have noticed that the new songs that are uplifting and emotional are the ones related to the resurrection (carrot) paradise earth (carrot), staying in the Organization (control), and working for the GB (slaving).

• IMHO
    IMHO

They say you should be interested in 'your' history hence 'Proclaimers' book.

Then take that away with a 'new' song book. The oldies will lose the nostalgia of songs they've sang for 30, 40, 50 years or more.

Even the 'old' songs have new melodies, why-oh-why?

'new light' = 'new lyrics' but why new melodies?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'm yet to run into anybody who has a positive opinion on the new song book. Granted, whats music to one's person's ear is garbage to another's. However, there's a general consensus amongst even die hard JWs that the new song book...........................sucks. I agree, "empty" describes it. There's no soul or life to it. The songs that they remixed should have just been left alone. Question for anybody in the know, is there a version coming out with vocals? I was at an Assembly Hall dedication mid last year, and they were playing new songs from the book before it was available, and there were vocals to it. Like a choir. Is that on the way via CD?

• Open mind
    Open mind

miseryloveselders:

I'm yet to run into anybody who has a positive opinion on the new song book.

It's thinner!

om

• St George of England
    St George of England

NO!

A brother I know who is a professional music teacher describes them as 'Disney Music' which I think is an insult to Uncle Walt.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit