Does Anyone Like the New Songbook?

by metatron 28 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

I like that songs are shorter in duration.......

I think it was a 'hugh mistake' on the society's Org's part to use the piano accompaniments versus the orchestral renditions.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

When the new songbook came out, one JW I know said that the new songs were musically "better" and easier to sing than the old songs. I should point out that this JW is a major "know-it-all" who considers himself an expert in music and has an interest in telling me positive things about the org., so that probably influenced what he told me.

I first heard the new songs at the memorial. Maybe it's just my "bad attitude" but I think the new songs (at least the ones played at the memorial) suck even worse than the old ones. And that's saying something!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I've heard them a bit. I think it's worthy of noting that the old ones were played on a real piano. The new ones are played on a synthesized piano.

I've always preferred the sound of a real piano.

• nugget
    nugget

Bad, bad, bad. The music is bland and lyrics appalling. They have managed to destroy the only bearable bit of the meeting.

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

nosferatu - I did not know that!!! what a travesty!!!

my two cents: while I don't think I've really HEARD the actual music....I don't have to hear it to know it is pure GARBAGE. I AM a musician. I learned how to play piano thanks to the old song book. I modified one of the songs for my guitar and played it at my sisters friggin WEDDING. So, for that fact alone I am partial to the old song book (even if some songs were hokey). When I was given the new song book (by the over-bearing, over-zealous sister of an ex-jw friend...ugh) I was OUTRAGED by what I saw.

They completely gutted everything! They shortened the songs, changed songs from four short verses to two long @$$ verses, and either completely changed entire verses or "tweaked" words here and there. And for WHAT????? Some of the changes weren't even necessary to fit into "new light"!!!!

It's like they gave the old songbook to a copy editor and creative writer, handed them a red pen and scissors, and said "have at it!"

As has been mentioned, it is now EMPTY. Devoid of any possible emotion one could feel for God. Certain songs used to move people....whether to tears because of the hope involved (keep your eyes on the prize, etc.) or simply to feelings of love and admiration for the beautiful melodies (some were actually quite pretty).

The new songbook makes me envision those street performers with the crank music box and the dressed-up dancing monkey. These tunes are just pathetic (apparently synthesized) cranked out songs for the mindless JW monkeys to dance to.

DANCE MONKEY, DANCE!

*shudders*

/rant

• White Dove
    White Dove

I would like to see a song book and see what they've done. I can read music and used to play piano for choir at school. I really liked the old brown song book with all the new music in it. I was quite tired of the old pink one.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Shame on you all for being SO ungrateful to the FDS providing you with the best music in the world.............SHAME ON YOU.

Who are you to criticise the effort that has been spent on your behalf composing these new songs?

Your leaders can do no wrong.

You have no right to an opinion.

Your leaders can do no wrong.

You have no right to an opinion.

When the brown song book was released there was a letter read to all congregations after some had expressed a critical opinion of the new songs & the piano playing..............so carry on like this & you know what to expect in the near future.

• blondie
    blondie

When the brown songbook came out it no longer had the four part piano music that lent itself to singing four part harmony. After that some sisters and brothers had to do it from memory or use their musical skill to provide their own. Many liked songs that had been eliminated. Some songs were very unsingable and were rarely selected by the WTS for the meetings. There was a lot of unhappiness over the elimination of pianos and live music at the assemblies/conventions. Even if a congregation had a concert pianist, they could not have piano music because everything must be uniform. It forced congregations to buy music from the WTS and supply their coffers. New music and books and donations "encouraged" might increase donations...but I think not.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

It's okay. Like all new things, it'll take some getting used to. I like some of the new expressions better; definitely better song meaning, well, in Spanish anyway.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit