What is your race?

by asilentone 89 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Well, if you want to get down to ancestral brass tacks, I seem to be pretty close to 100% Spanish, which is the most mixed up "race" on the planet. Lets see. I've got Celt, Latin, German, Jew, Moor, Arab, plus some people that aren't recognized as "peoples" any more because they got absorbed, like the Balears and the Iberians. Pretty much everybody settled or passed through the Iberian peninsula at one time or another.

BTS

• peaches
    peaches

white

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

3/4 German/Austrian, 1/4 Jewish (European)...so you can imagine the conflict within my family!!!!!...look very caucasian.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

LOL, I usually just answer "American" but saying of European ancestry isn't that eludicating either. I think the Europeans in general were pretty much mixing with everyone they could find by the late 1400s.

But, heck, the story of the Indo European languages is all about one tribe conquering another and assimilating their languages until we got Indo-European or "Caucasian" everything.

God knows what is mixed up in that supposedly pure whiteness....probably a lot of Asian, since the Indo Europeans conquered into Mongolia and got them all pissed off at one point.

People who talk about a "pure white race" make me laugh, especially if they're American. It tickles me to think that statistically, a third of Neo Nazis or KKK members have some African or Native American ancestry, no doubt. Probably some Jewish in there too, like I do in my German bit of ancestry, oh horrors!

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

LOL Mindmelda...it really is silly when people try to pinpoint their "race"...as you point out, everyone is a "Heinz 57 mutt"!

• Think About It
    Think About It

My husband has a lot of Native American ancestry on both sides of his family, Cherokee and Pohawatomi. He's also French, English and Scots.

Grandmother on my Father's side was 1/2 Cherokee. Grandmother on my Mother's side was 1/4 Cherokee. I think that makes me 1/5 Cherokee, but the rest is mainly English, so I look like a white guy.

Think About It

• blondie
    blondie

What race to you belong to?

The human race.........................

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I looked for super white on the census, but there was only white so I checked that.

• chickpea
    chickpea

when my youngest was about 4
    he wore a very cool baseball
    cap that had a human face
    divided into quarters and each
    quarter was a different shade

it declared: i belong to the human raceand that is how i answer any query as
    to which race i belong

my skin is white because my most recent
    ancestors needed to adapt to diffuse sunlight
    in order to synthesize adequate vitamin D
    lest they perish

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I usually refer to myself as a pasty white example of what too many white people keeping to themselves in Western Europe created.

Seriously, what I wouldn't give to have my husbands much darker skin! (he's a nice brownish color in the summer, dark enough that he once was asked if he was an Arab. Without the tan, though, he mostly looks French, I think.) I just had a boat load of pre cancerous spots taken of my back and my legs and arms.

Ugh, I have to slather on a bottle of 50 SPF sun block just to go outside and garden or swim for half an hour. Aggravating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit