Press Release: JWs and Child Molestation

by JohnJBB123 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• JohnJBB123
    JohnJBB123

January 10, 2002
    For Immediate Release:

Approaches To Education, Inc. again calls Jehovah’s Witnesses leaders to account.

In recent months William Bowen blew the whistle on Jehovah Witnesses leaders' policy concerning the treatment of victims of child molestation within the religion. This policy allegedly perpetuates child molestation.

The policy says that if a Jehovah's Witness tribunal is invoked to deal with such an act, and there are not two or three witnesses present to testify to the act, then the tribunal dismisses the case. The question raised is: “How many times is a child molester caught in the act?”

Jehovah’s Witnesses leaders claim they do have a proper policy in place and follow it. William Bowen, a former Elder of Jehovah’s Witnesses claims this is not done. Many of the victims of child molestation within the Jehovah’s Witness religion allege they are scared into silence by the elders, and threatened with expulsion from the religion if they tell someone.

In an interview with Charles Riley, a former Jehovah’s Witness elder, told of a discussion he had with Governing Body member Samuel Heard. Mr. Riley alleges he was removed from being an elder by his congregation without following the proper procedures. Mr. Riley appealed this to the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. During this conversation with Sanuel Heard Mr. Riley asked, “Does the Society care whether or not a local body of elders follows their written direction or not?” Mr. Heard responded, “No, we chalk it up to imperfection.”
    Dateline will be soon have a segment on T. V. that discusses this problem
    If you have any comments or questions please contact Approaches To Education, Inc. at 520-661-8417

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

interesting.

This sentence is written wrong: In an interview with Charles Riley, a former Jehovah’s Witness elder, told of a discussion he had with Governing Body member Samuel Heard.

Should the "with" be replaced with a comma?

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

If I were an Editor, I would wonder whether your facts and assertions were as poor as your grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

This so-called "press release" does a disservice to the cause.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Mad,

I have to agree with you there.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Good. A few suggestions on the grammar indicated by notes enclosed by [] for things to be added and other notes placed within <> marks:

In an interview with Charles Riley, a former Jehovah’s Witness elder, [he] told of a discussion he had with Governing Body member Samuel Heard.

Mr. Riley alleges he was removed from being an elder by his congregation without [the] following [of] the <delete the preceding word the> proper procedures.

Dateline will be soon have a segment on T. V. that discusses this problem [.]

• anewperson
    anewperson

John, don't listen to them/him. First I say them/him because Mad may be the same person using two different posting names. Sometimes he gives some good anti-Watchtower comments, other times tries to stifle and derail good anti-Watchtower comments. So much so in fact that some of us wonder if he isn't actually working for the Watchtower.
    The comment about grammar was rude or ignorant in that it ignores the fact that you may be posting from another continent where there are variations in English grammar. Mad may even have a dozen such aliases. Also, in fact in some nations the grammar is probably 100% perfect. The suggestions I gave would be good for in the U.S., Canada and probably among most readers in the U.K. and Australia, but not necessarily in India, Africa, Belize etc where English is also much spoken. Those of us who are good people thank you, and I encourage you to now take what you have written to the newspapers.

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

Sounds intresting. Maybe this will bring reproach on Jehovahs name..LOL
    It also might draw some attention to the Governing Body, and just what kind of decisions they are making, and just how much power they really have, and to how much power the local elders actually have.
    The power to destroy lives.
    I don't see how that could do any disservice.

• Francois
    Francois

anewperson, your edits are as bad as the release.

The whole release needs to be re-written. And yes, replacing the "with" with a comma is much better. Press releases should be double-spaced. The reference to Dateline should be dropped entirely.

This press release reads like an editorial. Cover the basics: who, what, where, why and how. I really don't get the point of the release. There's no story here. Rather, it's a collection of semi-related facts with no focus. What is the point? It should be stated clearly in the first paragraph.

Try again. You're on the right track.

Francois

• Danni
    Danni

JohnJBB123 Thanks for that bit of info. I just finished printing it out.. Good night all.

• JohnJBB123
    JohnJBB123

MadApostate,

First of all, I will talk to my editors about this release. Secondly, your chatter does a disservice to the cause. We are assisting several who have been harmed by the WTBTS. I am studyig to be a professional counselor, and work under the guidance of licensed counselor. Unless you have any suggestions keep your angry, insulting comments to yourself. What are you doing besides talking about it?
    We are a human rights organizaion. This kind of talk is a disservice to the cause. If you would like to assist the editors, please do. I first post these press releases on this site to get some professional insight, not useless insults and attacks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit