The Beard Starts TODAY

by Mad Sweeney 49 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Nah, actually, I shave every so often, just to appease my wife. I admittedly wore a beard to the special assembly day on purpose, just to show that I really didn't care about the made-up rules. But the beard itself was only an incidental public statement, really. I just didn't feel like shaving that day. I really just do it for my wife, even though her actually touching my face in any way is highly unlikely at this point in time...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I really just do it for my wife, even though her actually touching my face in any way is highly unlikely at this point in time...

My face isn't what I would want touched anyway.

BTS

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A public statement is still allowing others to exercise authority over you. If you are free, you have no need of statements.

I guess in a Dub-like twist of logic you could be correct but I can't think in Dub-ese anymore.

They have an unwritten no beard rule. I and my wife have always wanted me to wear a beard. Now I am doing it, ignoring their claim to authority. That isn't allowing others to exercise authority over me; it is me doing what I want despite their delusion of authority. Sure, the statement thing is a fun little bonus of very little practical worth, a mere nose-thumbing, but what it symbolizes is that I am doing what I want to do. Minimize it if you like; some people get off putting others down in such a way. But I'm going to enjoy it.

• Sighco
    Sighco

I'm working on an Aposta-Beard myself. Someday I hope to be mistaken for Gandalf... My beard will be epic....

• St George of England
    St George of England

Apparently 'Ban the Beard' began with J F Rutherford in the early 1920's as lots of brothers were growing beards in the style of C T Russell and thus demonstrating an allegiance to his predecessor!

• dandingus
    dandingus

Go for it man! It's a highly visible statement that you are doing your own thing now.

I grew a goatee as soon as I left and have had it for over 5 years. For the most part I still shave the sides of my face, but every now and then I'll let it go and grow the full beard in for a couple of months.

My girlfriend actually told me doesn't want me to shave the whole way because she likes the goatee (not that I would anyway because I like it too). My hair is long now also (down to my shoulders), but that's a newer addition.

Every time I see my witness grandmother the first thing she says to me is "when are you going to shave that thing off and get a hair cut?" as she makes a face like she just smelled the most rotten fart ever. LOL!

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

This topix made me smile because my husband was thrilled to try and grow out a goatee... until it came in grey:)

I think it looks great.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Don't forget the blood donation. If you're a first-timer, ask if they have a lapel pin.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    ... until it came in grey:) I think it looks great.

Truthseekeriam, I thank you on behalf of all greying old guys!

• avesta
    avesta

let me be the first to stand up and throw some water on your newly bearded growth to baptise you into another world.

a world of freedom, a world where you are not judged for wearing wrong hair styles, wrong clothes, and dirty shoes, your not judged for the way you bring your children up and how many meetings you miss. your not judged if you have not done your daily bible reading or studied your watchtower, or not gone on the service for one week.

your baptised into the world of a cultless organisation may your beard grow strong, and altho you dont need to make statements, this is a statement from inside you to let you know you are now incontrol.

ps.

let us know wen you have a tattoo (mine is one of a dragon ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit