Why is it so hard for Ex-JWs to make that "final step" and give up Christianity?

by sabastious 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The answer to the original question is - comfort.

Many left the JW set up when it no longer brought them the comfort that it once did. A more flexible modern Christian take on the bible still provides that needed comfort for many, without the nasty bits.

Despite not believing in the bible myself, I have some sympathy with those tender hearted people who need to be loved, comforted and reassured by the Jesus they believe in.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Why call it a "final step"?

If not Christianity, there would be something else.

We are all BELIEVERS - in one thing or the other.

I, for my part, believe in the God of the Bible.

Peace.

Sylvia

• blondie
    blondie

So how many ex-jws do you know to the extent of their religious beliefs or lack thereof. Done a survey of JWN? How many ex-jws do you think there are that never post here or come here compared to the ones who do?

• streets76
    streets76

Once Toto pulls back the curtain, the jig is up.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

2 years ago I asked everyone on this forum to post what their religious leanings were after leaving the JW organization. About 90% of those who responded stated they were atheist.

I think this atheistic end-state for ex-JWs is because the Jehovah's Witnesses religion is a 100 year young religion (kind of a recent hodgepodge of paganism, Judaism, Christianity, and humanism) and is not Christianity in any genuine sense. Like Mormanism it borrows "some" sacred writings from Christianity and "some" words and "some" concepts about God, but then it makes up new "light" or new revelations that greatly modify the meanings of the Christian writings (and even modifies the writings themsevles) to the point where the final religion is certainly not Christian in any meaningful, traditional, or historical form.

Therefore, it is not proper to say that ex-JWs have "left" Christianity, for they were never a part of the real thing.

Christianity is a living relationship with Jesus Christ, and regardless of which "church" you choose to attend you can pray to Him, He forgives your sins immediately, He sends the Holy Spirit inside you to regenerate you (make you born again), and He gurantees your redemption with no fear of a surprise rejection at the end of your life or at the end of time. Since none of that is true for ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, they should never think that they have ever been "Christian."

It was not Christianity they rejected, but a counterfeit johnny-come-lately hybrid religion where the human leadership seated itself in the role of judge and lord--roles that only belong to Christ. You have not left Chritianity, you have left the Watchtower.

• snowbird
    snowbird

{ You have not left Chritianity, you have left the Watchtower.}

AMEN!!!

I turned my back on our Lord to chase after a valueless thing.

I thank Him for his outstretched arms of forgiveness.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why is it so hard for Ex-JWs to make that "final step" and give up Christianity?

"Final step" towards what? What is this fantastic "final place" for us to end up?

BTS

• not a captive
    not a captive

Thank you for the 'welcome', Stephen. It is so great to have a forum that allows for free-wheeling, respectful discussion:"A smoking wick he will not extinguish, a bruised reed he will not break".

So true, Blondie, who of ex-JWs DO post here? I didn't know about this site until two days ago. Often a person is so beaten up spiritually that they even have trouble praying or talking to others about the trauma of rejection by their 'god-community'. I know that was the case with my second oldest daughter. In fact, the last site she would visit would be one that had the words 'Jehovahs Witnesses' in it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

A prevailing thought running through the posts is this--If the Witnesses used the bible so extensively and they were so wrong, it must follow that the Bible is as corrupt as their leadership.

Here are the things that awe can consider as distinct possibilities from the faith-warping doctrines of not only the Witnesses but of all organized religion's destructive imprint concerning our ability to listen to God--as individuals:

1. A Mennonite Christian named Jenny Duskey in the 70's wrote a short, powerful piece titled: "The Bible Is Not the Word of God". What was her chief reference? The Bible. She made the point that the OT was never considered 'The Word of God' as though it was a clear mirror into the Father's head. They are refered to as the Writings, the Scriptures (For instance, the opening words of Matt. 19, Jesus distinguishies between what Moses allowed and what God prefered regarding marriage.) She points out that Jesus is called the Logos an idea that is not simply translated as "Word" in English-- a significant idea if we wish to apprehend who God is and how we would respond to Him and our brothers and sisters here on the earth.

2. Organized religion cannot possibly fulfill the commission to Teach others how to be reconciled to God because being reconciled to God means we no longer have any religious organization mediating between us. Jesus is our only "Leader" Matthew 23:10, He is our only mediator. ANY RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATION MANAGES THE MESSAGE SO TIGHTLY THAT IN THE END THERRE IS NO GENUINE CONVERSATION WITH GOD.

Read the Gospels and review the possibility that we are called to a great measure of personal responsibility in our interaction with God and his Son. In the middle of Mark 9 Jesus tells John that the disciple's sense of clubbish exclusivity was off-base. Jesus told him not to "prevent" a man who was casting out demons in Jesus' name but who was not following with their group. This scripture was NEVER examined in the 21+ years I attended meetings with the JWs.

3. Ask yourself did Jesus come to start a new mob rule? The early converts like the Jailer and his family in Acts 16 commenced Christian life with nothing more than a night's instruction and a midnight baptism. To make a diligent effort to uphold their profession of faith in the Lord Jesus it would seem that they had a basic--very basic-- introduction but then were left to the Holy Spirit to aid them in the subsequent days.

Finally, isn't it true that we will have to stand or fall on our own even if we do meet to discuss and explore the availible information concerning God? "Where ever two or three are gathered together in my name there I am in the midst of them." How wonderful that fellowship is. As for disfellowshipping? We don't have to eat or play with any who are abusive of Jesus. But this should not be done as the JWs do it. Their entire process from our induction at baptism into the "Spirit anointed organization" makes our prosecutable offenses to include offenses against the organization--but not necessarily against God.

These are just things that I've reflected on. Good to hear from everyone.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

Snowbird wrote, "I turned my back on our Lord to chase after a valueless thing [the Watchtower]."

When I was meeting with a team of JWs (they to convert me to the Watchtower and I to convert them to Christ) it stunned me to hear their sage leader affirm that he had once been "Christian" but had left that all behind to follow the Watchtower and its organization. Anyone who has once genuinely belonged to Christ cannot forever replace Him with a false religion like the Watchtower. A person who has belonged to Christ will return to Him.

The vast majority of those who the Watchtower draw in never did know Christ in a relationship, so they were never Christian. Never having known God it makes sense they would leave as atheists.

The few who were Christian or became Christian while in the Watchtower are simply going to be compelled to leave by the Holy Spirit living in them. Those few individuals will return to their God and He will gladly welcome them home, for they never lost their standing as adopted children. That is Christianity.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    So how many ex-jws do you know to the extent of their religious beliefs or lack thereof. Done a survey of JWN? How many ex-jws do you think there are that never post here or come here compared to the ones who do?

reading through this board it is apparent that there is a good chunk that are still christian. My title does sort of imply that they might be in the majority, but that's not true. It should say "why have SOME ex-jws."

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit