Is Rock music satanic?

by Weeping 56 Replies latest jw friends

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Satan and the Evil Doers are starting their world tour this summer, the first concert will be

at the Los Angeles Coliseum on July 1, check with your local Ticket Master outlet for

tickets and date events, all concerts locations will be priced at $50.00 plus you personal soul

• Weeping
    Weeping

"Where? Show me in the bible where it says that all music should be banned."

I am not saying it should be banned. It was not a part of worship mentioned in the new testament. And in the old testament it often led to badness. So at the least, it's tolerable to God. But definitely not music influenced by satan or music that actually celebrates demonism and sex perversions.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Rock music does have the power to put people in a trance (as does all music). In that condition, your right brain (the creative side) is active, and it can appear as if Satan is helping you to write the music. If you have been conditioned to believe that Satan is the enemy, your music will reflect that because that's what is in your right brain.

I don't think music is specifically written up to worship the Devil (some is, but not mainstream rock). Mainstream rock is written up to make money. They can claim that Satanic messages are put in the music, and they can hear them if the records are played backwards (who plays CDs backwards these days?). However, this goes back to the classic ink blot test--where an ink blot is shown to someone and they are supposed to describe what they see in it. If a garbled message is in the music when played backwards, it is like that ink blot--and your brain (which many parents, opposed to rock music as "noise", interpret as Satanic) sees (or hears) a Satanic message, that is what you are going to hear. However, if your parents think God is responsible for rock music, they are as likely to hear angelic messages in the same music when played backwards.

As for drugs, I believe that many musicians do use drugs while composing their music. They do this because they think it improves their creativity. Drugs help them hear the message from their right brain by suppressing the filter in the left brain (which is responsible for logic). This does not mean they are intentionally worshiping evil and darkness. They are only trying to improve their product, much like an athlete tries to improve their performance with steroids. It does not mean that the listener is going to get a message to use drugs, worship evil, or to go out and do whatever they otherwise would not have done. Independent thinkers should be able to listen to the music, enjoy it, and not worry about the drugs the artist used or whether or not there is a Satanic message in the music.

There is, however, one type of music that is dangerous. If you are being exposed to "music" that is continually hounding you to obey someone, and also being told via other media and in person that you are supposed to be inspired by that music, it can be dangerous. This is particularly the case with Kingdumb maladies: The maladies implore you to obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger while intentionally putting you in a trance. It is supported by the littera-trash, the boasting sessions, and by continual association with others who believe the same thing. This suppresses independent thinking, and obeying the message suppresses your life. Which can result in your wasting your whole life doing something that is going to cause more ruined lives.

Which is more than can be said about any rock, heavy metal, disco, funk, or rap music.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Here is some music for weeping since he's obsessed with invisible man they call satan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31cG-RJCZU

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

thank you notverylikely for sticking up for me (and anyone else who may have done so that I overlooked)!!!! While I can BARELY understand weeping's concept of it being "self-centered" to be "in the zone" as you very accurately put it....they obviously don't have a lick of creativity, otherwise, they would know what it's like. I honestly find it hard to believe that when I was writing songs about being God's people I was being a vessel of satan. And weeping accused me of "obsessive music making", whereas I said that WHEN I wrote songs it usually only took a couple hours tops. And I've only written between 40-50 songs in my 7 YEARS of being a musican. Somehow I just can't bring my logical brain to conclude that 100 hours maximum out of 7 YEARS (61,320 hours lol my brain made me do the math LOL) is being obsessive. Also, it's funny how most people focus on their actual JOBS for and average of 8 hours PER DAY! *shock!* How dare those satan-worshippers make a living! How self-centered!

and while weeping is correct in there not really being MUCH mention of music in the new testament (to my knowledge and recollection, at least)....weren't there actual TEMPLE MUSICIANS in GOD'S house of worship? Their SOLE PURPOSE in their lives was to "make melody" to god. And I find it hard to believe that David's harp playing and making music to worship god with was only "tolerable".

While I can understand that CERTAIN types of rock music can incite people into a frenzy or trance-like state....or that they open themselves up to subliminal messages that may influence their thinking...you could say the same thing about folk music! Folk music has typically been very political and anti-control. Doesn't that have (in your apparent argument, weeping) the same satanic overtones? What about "new age" music, with it's propensity toward making things sound mystical? Or pop music, inciting young people into being crazed fans - crying and obsessing over their music "idols"? Or techno, electronic, dance? Obviously, rap is satanic. Therefore, hip-hop and R&B must be satanic as well, as they many times focus on immorality and promiscuity.

I just find that your argument is very "pick and choose". It's like those bible readers and religions who take a scripture and do a literal personal translation of one verse without taking into consideration the context, situation, or who was being addressed.

Making the blanket statement that all rock music is satanic, therefore, is AGAIN...a close-minded, opinion-oriented statement based on ignorance and lack of knowledge/understanding of facts.

oh, and just so you know:

EPHESIANS 5:18-20 (which is the new testament, last time I checked): "18 Also, do not be getting drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but keep getting filled with spirit, 19 speaking to yourselves with psalms and praises to God and spiritual songs, singing and accompanying yourselves with music in YOUR hearts to Jehovah, 20 in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ giving thanks always for all things to our God and Father."

ALSO

Luke 15:25-27 (which is the story of the prodigal son, which was meant as an example for all christans to follow): "25 “Now his older son was in the field; and as he came and got near the house he heard a music concert and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants to him and inquired what these things meant. 27 He said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father slaughtered the fattened young bull, because he got him back in good health.’ "

ALSO

Revelation 14:1-3 tells of the vision in which the 144,000 are singing and accompanying themselves on harps...

Colossians 3:16 encourages the use of spiritual songs and singing to God

And finally (for now anyway) both Matthew and Mark specifically say that at the end of the last supper, just after Jesus finished passing and explaining the significance of the bread and wine, they finished the occassion by "singing praises". ...which is interesting to note, as Jesus himself indicated that the passover celebration in entirety was something that ALL christians should "keep doing" in rememberance of him....

I'm pretty sure God more than merely "tolerated" music. Maybe next time do some reading before you speak such asinine ideas.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And in the old testament it often led to badness. So at the least, it's tolerable to God.

And god often commanded them to make music as well.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Mastodon, that album cover from "Slayer" - their pentacle's upside down!!!

AMATEURS!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit