how long in truth,,,what was the final "straw"

by peaches 51 Replies latest jw friends

• etna
    etna

I am like emma and straightshooter. I was born into IT and my daughter got dfs a few years ago and I couldn't believe the hypocrisy (she is back in). I've read crisis of the conscience and it has made alot of difference to me, wonderful book.

Etna

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

10 yrs, 1992-2002

Final straw: 2001 district convention drama.

• dgp
    dgp

Marked because I wish I could really share your feelings, instead of merely trying to apply my mind to "understanding". I try to do my best.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I was born in, 3 rd generation, left when I was 30.

I think the final straw was when I realised the 1914 “prophecy” was all bunk.

If there was no 1914, there was no governing body, no WTS, no JWs. It only confirmed all the suspicions I’d had, on top of everything else – changing doctrines, lack of love in the congs, judgemental “brothers and sisters”, etc etc.

• highdose
    highdose

fresh prince: could you tell us what it was about the 2001 drama that was the last straw? I'd be interested thanks

• dozy
    dozy

peaches... "the society has lightened up a bit on the "school" issue.....at least that seems how it was when i was still going....been a few years....guess they realized cleaning businesses,,,,or working at a retail store for minimal wage just does not cut it in the real world"

I think you would find that they have changed now - gone very hardline. Constantly at assemblies , meetings & in the JW only Watchtower they condemn further education. At the meeting of the COs with the elders 18 months ago , he made it clear from the societies outline that any appointed man who in any way encouraged or even tolerated their son / daughter to go to uni or college then they should be removed for not following the FADS policy and not setting a good example for the flock.

In answer to your question - 30+ years in "the truth" - final straw for me was the infamous Sept 07 KM q box on doing any research outside the WT publications or learning bible languages.

• hotspur
    hotspur

35 years and loads of years as an MS (never had the brass neck nerve to cowtow to their rules and make Elder) which leads to ......

Has to be their hypocritical stance over the UN issue and their trifling reasons behind it.

Many 'straws' really but that one broke the camel's back

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I was a true believer since childhood then I got the boot for supporting my unbaptized 14 year old daughter in a decision she made that the Elders did not agree with. I continued to attend meetings for 8 months "feeling the love" ( no-one talks to you; they treat you like dirt)all the while this scripture was going round and round in my head. Where Jesus said "Love your enemies pray for them" and I kept thinking "Am I now the enemy" if so, then I should be treated better than this. So I started doing some research on the net. I did not like what I was learning about the WT and the apostate sources I accessed: They were not at all like the WT said they would be ( bitter angry liars with an Axe to grind ) They were giving me facts, facts I could not deny. Like I said I did not like it It meant My whole life everything that I had based my life on was now being swept away. Every witness should experience being dis fellowshipped then they might think twice about imposing this disgusting policy on others.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I was in for 30 years.

Last straw: The Generation teaching change in 1995 (took me until 03 to leave).

Other issues which created serious doubts:

So-called "brothers" and "sisters" bad-mouthing one another, especially in field service, while at the same time trying to convince people to become jws. Here was a group that de-valued the people already in the religion while spending tremendous amounts of time trying to make converts.

Stand against higher education

Being an elder and seeing how things such as disfellowshipping were handled.

The crap spewed by C.O.'s during every visit, especially when they met w Elders (for example, one C.O. said we should quit our job if we could not get off work to attend our assigned District Convention).

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The "cult mind control stuff" was the dealbreaker for me. I had known about some of the doctrinal problems my entire life (which had of course been building up on the "avoid cognitive dissonance" shelf in my mind for decades), but when I found out I have never been free it all came crashing down.

It is one thing to believe and be taught wrong things. It is another thing entirely to be enslaved by a corporation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit