Stuff Southerners Like

by snowbird 151 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    Why, Yassur. Ah'm from the south. C'mere and give yer cousin a kiss.

LOL

• snowbird
    snowbird

*making mental note to look at videos when I get home*

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Good manners

Well-behaved children

Grassless yards

Churching all day

Saying howdy to strangers

Bathing every day

White whites

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hot Water Cornbread

7up Cake

Chicken and Dumplins

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Double wides

Not to say this in a pejorative tone, but the last time I was in Mississippi and Alabama on business, it was obvious that a lot of people there WERE double wides.

Rub a Dub

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yay!

Jonesie.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Now, now, Rub.

We're working on fixing the problem.

Sylvia

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Did anyone mention Peach Cobbler?

Cracklins - I just call it fried pig skin...yummy

• undercover
    undercover
    John Wilkes Booth.

I'm sure that was meant in jest, but I have to get serious because I think JWB caused the South more trouble than their own doings ever did...

While the South did not like Lincoln during the war (but much of the North didn't either) Lincoln's death was the worst thing that could've happened to the South. The war was over for all intense purposes and Lincoln wanted to mend fences as quickly as possible. He wanted to welcome the seceding states as prodigal sons and patch things up as quickly as possible.

His death by Booth sent the rest of Washington into a tizzy. They decided to punish the South for what Booth did. Reconstruction was a mess which ended up backfiring and helped create the backlash that became the Jim Crow laws.

If Lincoln had lived, he would have seen things handled much different and sanely. I dare say that it could have led to civil rights being enacted during the late 1800s instead of a hundred years later.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Reconstruction was a mess which ended up backfiring and helped create the backlash that became the Jim Crow laws.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit