Help Please- Gods prophets in Bible made mistakes like GB?

by AwSnap 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I have a family member coming over tomorrow to discuss this. It was actually brought up a long time ago, but I forgot about it. He told me 2 days ago that he found some information that he'd researched.

My point to him was this: I know the men whom God appointed in Bible times were imperfect and made mistakes (as individuals who made mistakes in their conduct & daily lives), but did they ever make a ruling "in the name of god" and then realize it was a mistake?

My family member sounded as though he has found some examples. Can anyone give me a heads-up on this? What can I expect to hear? Can anyone recommend a thread that has to do with this?

Thanks in advance

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

....what about David? Didnt he lead a ton of men into war, putting his lady friend's husband at the frontlines so he'd die? Did David do this in the name of God?

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Did "they" realize it was a mistake? Or was it simply a mistake?

I think the point to keep in focus that the WTBS has made the kinds of predictions demonstrably proven as false which were never made in the scriptures by those who spoke in the name of Jehovah. Furthermore the WTBS record as to appropriate medical treatment has continuously shifted and been wrong whereas the mosaic law has yet to be demonstrated as being deleterious to its adherents when considered from a medical standpoint.

There will be an attempt to equate the non-equatable. Of this I'm sure.

• yknot
    yknot

I can't think of anyone who wasn't labelled a false prophet.

I suppose a case could be made for the Pharisees and similar leaders of Jesus' day.

....than again he might be considering the Apostles believing, expecting and preaching as if the 'end' would occur in their lifetimes... as brought up in last year's DC regarding the flub-ups of past predictions (1914, 1925, 1975)

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I found the following at JwFacts moments ago. It may be relevant to what you're asking. [bolding is mine]

Apostles Made Mistakes

The Watchtower justifies errors through a comparison with the Apostles and the mistakes that they made.

"Like the apostles of Jesus Christ, they have at times had some wrong expectations." Reasoning from the Scriptures p.136

In a similar vein, I regularly receive emails from Witnesses that God used Moses, Abraham and David to lead his people even though they were sinners.

This addresses an issue quite different to the one at hand. This is not a question of individual Jehovah's Witnesses or individual members of the Governing Body being perfect or holding to a perfect understanding of doctrine. The issue is whether the Governing Body operates under guidance of Holy Spirit as a collective group, after prayer. Does Jehovah direct what appears in the Watchtower journals?

Rather than suggesting that Apostles made mistakes ask "What percentage of the Apostles writings in the Bible are wrong?" Zero percent. "What percentage of Watchtower statements has been wrong?" The difference being, the Apostles were directed by God, the Governing Body is not.

Len Miller

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Thank you. I thought I made it quite clear as to what I was commenting on to him. Were there any examples of congregation leaders making false rules for their congregations, even if they were appointed by god?

Thanks for the jwfacts.com quotes. it IS a matter of whether the Holy Spirit is guiding the GB....I dont necessarily need to change his mind. I just want to be able to have a couple good responses.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

AS, You bumped the thread where I said this a couple of weeks ago, but I'll paraphrase it again now to add to Len's thought: Have you ever seen the movie Remember the Titans? In a stirring speech, one of the football players says, "Now, I ain't saying that I'm perfect, 'cause I'm not. And I ain't gonna never be. None of us are. But we have won every single game we have played 'til now. So this team is perfect."

This thought can be applied to the writers of the Bible. Individually, all were imperfect. But with the application of God's spirit, they produced perfection. If someone claims to be acting in accord with God's spirit, is it unreasonable, then, to hold their actions, as a group, to a higher standard?

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I did? haha...I remember bumping the thread, but my memory is shot. thx Blue

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

JW cult mindset allows them to find that the apostles fell asleep while waiting for Jesus, Moses didn't get to enter the promised land because of some incident with losing his temper, YADDA YADDA. But they say that the writings of the Bible are inspired, so that part is not full of mistakes.

Then their cult mindset allows them to forget that their precious Watchtower did claim that, as a group, the anointed or the GB or whoever are a prophet of God. That would make them false prophets, so they conveniently forgot that and now just say that they are not inspired, but spirit-directed. THAT'S WHAT 'INSPIRED' IS- SPIRIT DIRECTED.

Have fun, but it's circular logic at it's best if you tackle such a conversation.

• blondie
    blondie

It is one thing to make a mistake, it is another to own and make amends. I have never seen the WTS do that, rather they shift the blame to others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit