I'm new here

by Diamonds 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Diamonds
    Diamonds

Hi,

I stumbled across this website a few months back and have often read the topics posted but this is the first time that I've posted anything myself.

All my family are JWs - I got baptized when I was 17 but started to fade when I was about 20 and finally left at 22 when I managed to escape to university and move away from home. Ten years on and I am still out of the org but never disfellowshipped (although I would have been if they'd have known what I've been up to!). The relationship with my family is not great - i get on with some members better than others. My mother is quite dogmatic and controlling, my sister is arrogant, my dad is lovely and my brother is a dude.

Although I've been out for a long time the issues involved with the whole JW thing can still upset me sometimes, particularly the threat of your family cutting you off if you say/do anything contradictory to their religion. That is why I am happy (in a way) living quite a distance from them - i can maintain a 'worldly' life without them knowing ('worldly' being not having absolutely anything to do with JWs, living with my boyfriend before I married him, celebrating Xmas, b'days, etc, getting drunk and eating black pudding!).

I still find it very hard to talk about my life as a JW and my JW family to new people I meet, and I have a number of friends that don't even know about my past! It's as if I feel embarrassed/ashamed about it but then I feel guilty about feeling ashamed?! What a messed up mind still! Does anybody else feel this way?

Even with all the baggage of being out of the org that I don't think will ever fully leave me, the experiences I've had since being out -and the mistakes I've made - have helped me grow enormously as a person and when I reflect on all the things i have learned (critical thinking being the most important) I'm so glad I was strong enough at the time to just leave.

Some of the posts here are quite venomous about JWs but I don't think it's a good thing to be bitter about anything - bad for your mental health! It's ok to be sad sometimes, but not good to hold a grudge.

Anyway chaps, I'll probably be posting again soon. Nice to meet you.

Take care

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    eating black pudding!).

Oh! The horror!

Just kidding, Welcome.

Sylvia

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome to the forum! Glad you began to post. Stay with us and learn alot. (was "in" more than thirty years...out about five)

• Titus
    Titus

Hello,

And welcome!

TITUS - active JW

• cantleave
    cantleave

Diamonds are forever. Welcome!!!

Eating black pudding is NOT on my to do list.

• Peaches1978
    Peaches1978

Welcome Diamond you came to the right place.....

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Welcome, Diamonds!

~Sue

• its_me!
    its_me!

Hello Diamonds!

I am new here too! This site is a very good support system. I have been inactive for several months now, and I was irregular before that. I fear disfellowshipping because I have family in the Org. but I know if I do get Df'd at least I know that I will have a sympathetic ear here. (most likely more than one!) And I have found unconditional love outside of the Org. Love from close friends and love from my husband, (not a JW).

I lurked for several weeks before I actually posted, and I am very glad I did! I doubt you will regret your decision to post here!

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Welcome!

I am relatively new here too, was in the borg for 30 years and now out for 7 months- I am just settling into my new lifestyle. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of living far away from family and cong.- People do catch my boyfriend and I out in public together, which adds much stress to ordinary things like eating out or going to a movie.

I can relate to meeting new people and telling them about my religious past-

I enrolled in a university, and I wrote an informative essay about cultism. Last week it was due, and the professor asked the class which essay topic the class wanted to hear out loud. Unanimous vote, they wanted to hear mine.... my heart started pounding (just like at the meetings when I was pressured to comment). I got through reading it & the class asked so many questions about my experiences, an hours worth!! I was suprised how readily they accepted me and thanked me for sharing, I felt a release after sharing

So don't be afraid to open yourself up, you never know where support could come from :)

keep posting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit