Can You Get DFd for Working for the Department of Defense?

by daniel-p 62 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Hey Daniel...just saw this thread. Hate to hear this... you get a good job offer and a chance to get away from the old job you hated and now this...

Leave it to the cult to rob you of the joy and satisfaction of landing a good job. Just reading the exchange between you and your brother exasperated me. I can't deal with people who think and talk like that anymore.

I hope you can make it work out...

• blondie
    blondie

I forgot to add, if you are in law enforcement or security and carry a gun, you will not be da'd or df'd, but any "privileges" you have will be taken away; can't be an elder, MS, give prayers, read paragraphs, do mikes, etc.

*** w05 11/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Can a Christian maintain a good conscience if he accepts employment that involves being armed?

Jehovah’s Witnesses the world over take seriously their God-given responsibility to provide materially for their families. (1 Timothy 5:8) However, certain forms of employment are in clear violation of Bible principles and should be avoided. These include employment connected with gambling, the misuse of blood, and the promoting of tobacco products. (Isaiah 65:11; Acts 15:29; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Colossians 3:5) Other types of work, though not directly condemned in the Bible, could violate one’s conscience or the conscience of others.

Engaging in secular work that requires carrying a firearm or another weapon is a personal decision. However, armed employment exposes one to the possibility of becoming bloodguilty if called upon to use one’s weapon. Hence, a Christian needs to consider prayerfully whether he is willing to accept the burden of making a snap decision where human life is involved. Carrying a weapon also exposes a person to the danger of injury or death from an attack or reprisal.

Others may be affected by one’s decision as well. For instance, a Christian’s primary responsibility is preaching the good news of God’s Kingdom. (Matthew 24:14) Would it be possible to teach others to "be peaceable with all men," while at the same time earning a living by carrying a weapon? (Romans 12:18) What about children or other family members? Would having a handgun in the house put their lives in danger? Moreover, could others be stumbled by one’s stand on the matter?—Philippians 1:10.

In these "last days," more and more people are "fierce, without love of goodness." (2 Timothy 3:1, 3) Knowing this, could a person remain "free from accusation" were he to choose armed employment that might bring him into conflict with such individuals? (1 Timothy 3:10) Hardly. For this reason, the congregation would not regard such a person as "irreprehensible" if he continued to carry a weapon after being kindly given Bible counsel. (1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:5, 6) Thus, such a man or woman would not qualify for any special privileges in the congregation.

Jesus assured his disciples that if they put Kingdom interests first in their lives, they need not be overly concerned about having the necessities of life. (Matthew 6:25, 33) Indeed, if we place our full trust in Jehovah, "he himself will sustain [us]. Never will he allow the righteous one to totter."—Psalm 55:22.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

JW's benefit from the worldly people working for the DOD, they can preach, you don't find witnesses preaching in places where there is not some order of peace in which to do it. That relative peace has to come from somewhere.

just as they benefit from worldly people that donate blood so they can receive fractions.

Non-JW's are working and donating to save their lives, JW's never seeming to be thankful for that.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Related piece of JW employment trivia:

JW elders in good standing are directly employed by the United Nations.

Go figure.

om

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Open Mind:

That is sick and twisted! Joe Blow Witness no-body is not allowed to have a job that is directly or indirectly related to our government or defense. But some holy roller pompous windbag Elder up in Brooklyn, Patterson, Walkill or whatever can have a paid job working directly under the United Nations.

Two sets of scales, anyone???? This is utterly unacceptable, "Theocratic Warfare" be damned!!! This is sick.

- Wing Commander

• restrangled
    restrangled

Daniel, I certainly hope you take the job. The DOD has the best benefits out of most government departments. Did you know you are vested after 5 years? With a family coming along this is a spectacular opportunity. My son is working for the DOD at age 22..... he will be able to retire when he is 50 if he so chooses.

Good luck and best wishes for your new family. Please, please don't let the JW's influence you!

r.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Blondie: Thanks for the article citation.

Restrangled: I have every intention to take the job. I know what a great opportunity this is (especially at the generous pay I am being offered), and will not let it slip away.

So he wrote me an email, basically giving these veiled threats of "repreccusions and consequences" to my decision... I wrote him back and am now waiting. Here is the reasoning I used for the neutrality thing:

About neutrality: This job is about 10 degrees away from anything that would test a neutrality stance. Just as I do now, I would provide objective information to decision makers. In my present case, some of those decision makers are elected officials. Does that mean I support elected officials and their political positions? No, because I simply give them the information they want and/or need to make their own decision. I'm a professional member of hired staff, providing information to decision makers, the same information they would gather from anybody in the same position. The XXXXXX position would require me to work with facilities and communities at naval bases in much the same way I do now for facilities and communities in civilian areas. I seem to remember an '04, or '05 article mentioning how JWs could serve in law enforcement (albeit with no privileges), carrying a weapon, enforcing the law of the land, working for elected and appointed officials. This applies to local law enforcement, prison guards, state police, even the FBI. Law enforcement supports, in a much more direct manner, the mission of the government to maintain order than my position would support.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    One brother asked if it was ok to deliver cola to the military base that was part of his delivery route and the society said no. He was told to change his route or change his job.

Totally ridiculous! Perhaps he should've asked Elder so and so how he is going to make ends meet. Perhaps elder so and so can offer him another job or line him up with another employer. If that elder wanted to help, he should've done more than said "...Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed." (James 2:16)

Provide some real help and offer some real solutions. Otherwise, buzz off, how many of those same elders would be quick to justify doing things involving defense, politics, and/or the church if they think it is a seemingly small thing.

HYPOCRITES!

Sorry for the rant but this really burns me.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Thanks Blondie!

That is the stance that I thought was still in place on law enforcement employment. You can't be armed, but it is ok to call a "worldly" armed cop to help you...and in the course of that help, they may have to use their weapon...and that is ok. What a load...

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

"Carrying a weapon also exposes a person to the danger of injury or death from an attack or reprisal"

Does that mean a person could be blood-guilty if they were killed by an attacker while employed as a gun toting officer?? That is some strange logic...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit