Presciption drug addiction

by crapola 24 Replies latest jw friends

• crapola
    crapola

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this problem or know of someone that has. I know someone with this problem and this person is in counseling and taking medication to fight the cravings, but it's still a constant battle. And I don't know what to do to help. It's my daughter, and I'm desperate for advice. Should I be tough with her or be an old softy like I've been lately? Any responses would be so appreciated.

• Nowman
    Nowman

My mom is currently addicted to several meds. The main one being Vicadin. She will not admit it though. Its such a sad thing to see, if you say anything about it, she gets defensive and all hell breaks loose. I am not qualified to help her, she has to want to make the change. She currently is pennyless and living me my grandparents. She is a recovering alchoholic too, the addiction to meds came overtime, a cross addiction.

Pain med addiction is truly a big problem, not sure how to help, but I do understand what you are going thru, especially the "what to do" part.

Nikki

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i was hooked on chewable kids vitamins. but only the orange ones.

• undercover
    undercover

I was on Vicadin for awhile and was afraid of getting hooked, but the pain was too intense to avoid taking it. But as I got better from my issue and the pain started to subside, I quickly tried to wean myself. I'd heard too many stories about Vicadin addiction.

I worked with a guy that was hooked on it before I had to go on it. He had gone through rehab and thought he had it licked but then he'd go back on it. It cost him his wife, his job and his home.

I have a healthy respect and fear of prescription narcotics...

The only advice I would give is to go get some books on dealing with family/friends who have addiction problems and how you can avoid being an enabler. Sometimes the things we do out of compassion and mercy only end up enabling that person to continue in their self destructive ways.

• crapola
    crapola

Undercover, I hear what you are saying. I sometimes think I'm enableing her because I help pay for the clinic she goes to and she is off the drugs that she went there for, but she still tries to get other things, such as nerve pills etc. But I will try and locate some books. I had not thought of doing that. Thanks.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Four and half years ago I went into a 28 residential treatment program to deal with my alcoholism. It was the best thing I ever did. One of the things that struck me was the number of people in there fighting a problem with perscription drugs. The numbers between alcoholics, illiegal drug users, and perscription drug abusers were about equal. If she is in counseling she's made a good start. You might want to talk to the counselor about a residential program to break the cycle.

Not sure what you mean by being tough. Don't enable her, but yelling or something won't help if she's already working on the problem.

Best wishes to both of you.

• nugget
    nugget

The trouble with any form of addiction to drugs is that stopping completely can be incredibly dangerous. This is an area where professional help is essential. As she is in counselling she has already taken an important step. It is a tricky one because people have to realise that there is a problem and they need to make the change for themselves. People trying to give up to please someone else can sometimes relapse when things in their relationships do not go well.

You can be there and supportive making sure that if she relapses that she quickly gets back on the programme. Remind her why she is stopping and reassure her of your support but don't allow her to make excuses. Focus on getting back on the programme.

It is a hard job and takes incredible will power and time. I wish you good luck.

• united states
  • united states
    united states

I had taken massive amounts of medications for 5 years and recently quite with the help of a doctor and the drug Suboxone. It is a very hard process but I would be more than willing to speak with you about it and give some suggestions. You can PM me if you would like to talk.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this problem or know of someone that has. I know someone with this problem and this person is in counseling and taking medication to fight the cravings, but it's still a constant battle. And I don't know what to do to help. It's my daughter, and I'm desperate for advice. Should I be tough with her or be an old softy like I've been lately? Any responses would be so appreciated.

Be firm but compassionate. Set limits and stick to them.

There is plenty of advice available for family of addicts. If she is in counseling then probably the facility offers some sort of family support and education.

http://drugabuse.gov/

http://www.samhsa.gov/

http://www.cfiwest.org/sos/brochures/family.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit