Presciption drug addiction

by crapola 24 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

It all depends why a person is taking narcotic pain killers. If they are truly in severe, chronic pain, it would be cruel to demand that they stop. If they are just taking the drugs to get high, that is another situation altogether. The problem is that it can be difficult to tell the difference.

People who take narcotics for real pain do not get "high"; they do not take more at one time than prescribed. The drugs make them more functional, rather than less functional. They fill and use their medication as per the doctor's instructions.

If your mother is able to wean off of narcotics and is not in severe pain, she is not taking them for the reason they are prescribed. Still, the addictive behavior must be dealt with, on a long term basis.

Good medications for severe, chronic pain are Methadone and Suboxone. Not so much of a "high" feeling from these. They are also both used for drug withdrawal and addiction to stop the intense cravings for narcotics. These medications have their own withdrawal effects when discontinued.

I used to work at a pain clinic and I saw a lot of people there for the drugs, but I also saw a lot who were there because of intractable pain. It is difficult for the doctors to tell the difference. The guidelines I mentioned above are what they use to determine whether to prescribe narcotics. Is your mother using drugs for pain or to withdraw from life?

I wish you and your mother the best as you try to figure out what helps. Drug addiction is a sickness in itself and needs a lot of intense, long term treatment. Unfortunately, our society tends to demonize people rather than provide the long term care that is needed.

• crapola
    crapola

My daughter started Loratab a few years ago when she had kidney stones and had to take them for a while. I guess she discovered they made her feel good emotionally as well as physically. So it started then which has been about 7 years ago I guess. Anyway, it's been a roller coaster ride of emotions for me.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Hey, sorry, I misread your post. I see you are talking about your daughter. If she was taking them for kidney stones, sounds like the pain is probably resolved. Guess you need to go the route of finding help for addiction. 7 years is quite a while, so she most likely needs help.

Does she want to stop?

• crapola
    crapola

Choosing life, yes she does want to stop and is taking methadone and getting counseling at a clinic. But she is still having cravings and gives in to these once in a while. It just worries me so much because I know with methadone it is very dangerous to mix different drugs. This does'nt happen very often, but when it does it takes a toll on her, her husband,babies and me as well.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Getting off antidepressants can be a bitch.

BTS

• choosing life
    choosing life

With Methadone, she does need to be very careful. Does she have to pass drug screens to get the Methadone? Does she go daily for her dose or does she have a prescription? Not trying to be nosy, just wondering what might help.

At the clinic I worked at, the doctors would give out scripts, as it was for pain. They would also surprise a patient with a drug test on occasion. They would ask when they took their last dose and then test the blood for the half-life of the drug. They could tell pretty accurately just how much Methadone should be in their bloodstream.

They would also do other drug screens to see if the patient was using any other substances. Any non-compliance and they would lose their prescription. Another thing to consider would be whether her Methadone dosage is right for her. If not, it can cause cravings that cause her to seek other opiates. The only way to find out would be to honestly talk it over with the doctor.

Sounds like your daughter might need closer scrutiny, maybe an inpatient treatment program. Opiate addiction is tough. I am not sure putting her on Methadone was a good idea, as it is stronger than Lortabs.

I hope you can convince her to go for further treatment. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Quentin
    Quentin

IMO we are wired for addiction, of which there are two kinds, mental and physical...I take Hdyrocodone and vallium, also blood pessure meds, along with a LONG list of other meds to deal with my "health" problems. Thing is, more often than not the side effects are worse than what you take the med for. Long as we have doctors that belive the use of a med FAR out weighs the side effect problem we will continue to be exposed to them.

Also, IMHO, muscel relaxers are the wose. My daughter fights Soma tooth and nail, has been for 6ys. and doesn't see one of those "rubbe stamp" pain doctors either. Sadly she'll have to take her pain killers(oxycodon) and muscel relaxes rest of her life. Same as I'll have to take my blood pessure meds. Addiction of any kind is hard to deal with. Have no the words of wisdom, whish you the best....

• crapola
    crapola

My daughter does go twice a week to the clinic and they do random drug tests which she has passed every time. She has been on this for 9 months now. I was also thinking that the dose of methadone might not be right. I've also heard that the side affects from it are sometimes worse than what you were taking to begin with. But we had to do something. She goes back in today and I might try and go with her. Thanks everyone for your comments. It helps so much to know that I'm not alone and others know how I feel.

• designs
    designs

20% of the population carries the genes to be seriously addicted to various substances like opiates and alcohol, 10% will actually develop a serious addiction to these various substances. Medical intervention and counseling can help break the cycle.

One of the studies that came out of treating veterans from the Vietnam War was to see the effects of morphine use on patients. Anyone receiving morphine will get high, but addiction was more confined. The nature nurture paradigm.

• shamus100
    shamus100

20% of the population carries the genes to be seriously addicted to various substances

Thanks, Designs.

Would you possibly have a linkey-poo for that data? That is, if you do (could be in an actual book.... GASP!).

Thanks if you can.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit