JW christmas is just round the corner... ugh!

by MisfitMeL 22 Replies latest jw friends

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

Yeah so the memorial is getting closer.

And even though my mum knows I am not attending the meetings, she keeps staying I should AT LEAST attend the memorial.... coz it's like special.

No idea how to get myself out of it. Everytime she brings up the topic over the phone, I just mumble and say stuff like, yeah but I finish work late... I dunno where the KH is out here etc etc. I don't know why JWs treat the memorial like it's christmas. Even if they know you don't attend any meetings you still HAVE to attend this one... coz it's SO special. And everyone gets dressed in their finest party wear. The congregation back in Kuwait would organise snacks and sometimes even food for like a small buffet.

They really do feel left out at not having any 'festivals' to celebrate right? Gosh, I have no idea how to squirm out of this one

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

They dont make it seem special: they don't take the day off, they don't give presents, they don't send cards, they don't have parties of celebration (potlucks are out - I went to one after a memorial when I was a child) ...some special day of celebration. More like a really depressing wake.

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

It is a very boring wake that's for sure.

Every year you have to listen to the same cut out speech with a few words changed in between lol

• peaches
    peaches

it will not be so bad.....come in late,,,,sit in the back,,,close to the door if possible.....leave during the closing song....park so you can get out fast...even people of most religions thank god,,for sending his son as a sacrifice....if you think what jesus went through,,,,sitting in a hall for 30 minutes isn't so rough,,,,even if it is a "kingdom hall".....

i should give advice....i do not go either....can't get myself to walk through the doors of the building.....yet,,,if there is a god,,,,what he did for us is to be truly appreciated....and your poor mom is just hurting for you i'll bet....just think what she must be going through....eternal death for her son with the prospect of never seeing you.....it is all so awful.....to put it mildly.....

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

Daughter! :D

I can't make myself walk into the building either. Just listening to all that drivel would make me want to scream lol

I do understand how all this makes my mum feel which is why I am in a predicament, but it starts out with attending the memorials... then they coerce you to attend the conventions and assemblies... and then it's just a matter of time before you're badgered into attending everything again

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Do you foresee the sudden onset of...

• Car trouble
    • Working late
    • Cold
    • Flu
    • Snowstorm
    • Flood
    • Chicken Pox
    • Projectile vomitting
    • Projectile diarrhea
    • Tourette's Syndrome
    • Snow blindness
    • Nosebleeds
    • Earbleeds
    • Cold sores
    • etc.

?

• peaches
    peaches

if they don't know you,,,,and you do not speak with anyone,,,or give personal information if you are confronted,,,they will not beable to track you down....i don't think anyway,,,,,it is so hard,,,and emotionally draining,,,,,,there is no "win" situation.....i feel both for you and your mom...the thought of death is horrible enough,,,,let alone losing some one for ever....

• cantleave
    cantleave

MisfitMel, you don't have to go if you don't want to, in the same way your mum doesn't have to celebrate your birthday or xmas. I am not attending his year because it is the JW's highlight of the year. By not attending (for the first time in my life) I am proving to myself that they don't have a hold on me.

If you do go, drink and Eat

• peaches
    peaches

billy had some good idea's....it has been brought out many times not to go to the hall if you are sick or contagious....even the memorial...as you could sicken the brothers and sisters....get the h1n1 flu...i think that is what it is called....it is NOT loving to share your germs...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When is the memorial? I haven't been invited.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit