by leo999 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leo999
    leo999

Hi all ,

Is there anyone else at all , apart from the WT that does believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE , or are they totally all alone in this ?

Leo999

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

They are totally alone in that belief

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Cuuuuue 'scholar.'

Psst! You're on!

*shove*

• garyneal
    garyneal

I've been doing a little research on this on the Internet and the local library. So far, the only sources that definitively point to 607 BCE for that event are Watchtower sources. When Jehovah's Witnesses are confronted with that question, they will always turn to Insite books and Kingdom Come literature.

Scholar cites 'celebrated WT scholars' as proof of 607 BCE but he never names who they are. Cue Billy the Ex-Bethelite to shed light on who these people are.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The celebrated Watchtower scholars are obscured by anonymity or possibly dead (if they existed at all - oh yeah that could be the truth!).

• garyneal
    garyneal
    The celebrated Watchtower scholars are obscured by anonymity or possibly dead.

How convenient, just like the 'celebrated WT scholars' who translated the NWT bible. Obscured and anonymous.

• Titus
  • Titus
    Titus

AnnOMaly, are you really from Yugoslavia? I am too.

• dgp
    dgp

I understand Carl Olof Jonsson's The Gentile Times Reconsidered (http://www.amazon.com/Gentile-Times-Reconsidered-Carl-Jonsson/dp/0914675079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268512288&sr=8-1 is a very good source on all things 607. It sounds like an interesting book.

However, I have a problem, not with the book, but with the whole idea of the chronology. Suppose Jerusalem had indeed been destroyed in 607. I still can't see why we have to believe there is a chronology to interpret at all. I don't see how the "weeks" become "years". I still can't understand why YHWH, who wants us to be saved, would give the information about his second coming in such a difficult to see way. So, my disbelief in the chronology starts with "WHY DO WE NEED A CHRONOLOGY AT ALL?

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Well.......................

Without chronology you can't

interpret prophecy

Without prophecy of doom

you can't scare people into compliance

If people don't comply you can't control them

If you can't control them how do you get them to do

what you want

If they don't do what you want you can't have a religion

If you don't have a religion who is going to buy your books

and magazines on a regular basis

If nobody wants what you print they will probably cease selling

for you, buying you books and sending you money

If you don't get money sent to you all the time you'll have to close

your buildings, sell the property, leave town and go get a job somewhere

Or you can just start scaring those that don't know any better....................

That way you can............................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit