I don't miss the Jehovah club

by Gopher 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

Why are the anonymous JW's we sometimes see on the Internet so testy with former members of their religion? They have heard the Bible verse that they should give respectful answers to those that demand a reason for the hope in them. After pondering this a while, here is my best assessment.

The Jehovah's Witness organization is like a club. There are popular members, and there are "unfit vessels". Some are selfish, some are giving. On special occasions they will band together and be unusually kind. This is not unlike many other clubs.

No matter their standing or popularity among fellow JW's, they all are united in the belief that "Jehovah" supports the Watchtower organization, and that they must stay in this club to survive Armageddon. (You're either in or out - there's no in-between.)

Unlike many Western religions, JW's hold the narrow view that only they can be right. This view used to be common in Christendom. In the 1960's when I was a child, I heard Catholic kids and Lutheran kids say the other side was condemned because they did their worship services all wrong. Of course as a JW, I knew ALL those kids were wrong because they didn't go preaching the kingdom like I did.

The world changed, and more people came to accept the idea that those in other religions might be sincere and faithful. This ecumenical movement led to better co-existence between some religions (not all). Only the really radical religions or unorthodox fringe groups held to the view that only they were doing God's will.

The world changed, but the JW's didn't. After the shakeup/witch hunt at Brooklyn Bethel around 1980, Watchtower leadership tightened the screws and created a more insular "us against the world" mood that seeped down through all layers of people in the organization. They expanded the shunning rules to include former members who merely wanted to leave without the door hitting them in the butt. The organization began demanding more and more of its members, all the while telling them that they should feel privileged to be in the "most loving" organization and "only brotherhood".

It is no wonder that some JW's are so surly when they come across former members here and elsewhere on the Internet. This attitude comes from insecurity fostered by the demands of the organization, along with maybe not being in the popular group in their congregation.

So be understanding to those in the Jehovah club, if you come across one. They're taking a beating, and whether or not they acknowledge it - your refusal to agree with them adds to their frustration and sense of unworthiness.

I don't miss being in the Jehovah club.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

So be understanding to those in the Jehovah club, if you come across one.

Those in the Jehovah Club..

Are usually packing a Jehovah Club..

And..

They have no problem beating you with it..

The..

Jehovah Club..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ah Outlaw, they just talk big. They don't have a billy club. They only have a backwards-shooting pistol.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I have missed Gopher though!!!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I don't miss the Jdub club at all!!

• flipper
    flipper

GOPHER- Good thread. Nice to see you again. You mentioned a couple points which caught my attention. That the WT society created a " us against the world " mood and that the " JW's attitude comes from insecurity fostered by the demands of the organization ". This is definitely is evidence that the WT society is a mind control cult. Many other cults use these same tactics to control members. Especially when the cult gets desperate to retain members when a goodly number start leaving.

When cults get desperate- they tighten the screws and become even MORE controlling. Thus the " us against the world " attitude fostered. And JW's attitude of insecurity is promoted by the WT society using " Fear " and " Guilt " to control what JW's think and do. Scare tactics of " fear of destruction " at Armageddon or fear of being DFed or kicked out tends to keep members locked up inside the cult through fear. Pretty twisted in my opinion. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Gopher
    Gopher

Although I've been out of the JW organization 10 years, I still remember exactly what I felt like then. I have discovered my real self and am more true to that person now that I've adjusted to being out. I'm less likely to fall into any deceiver's trap now, and I appreciate people for who they are.

But I'm still the same human being I was when I was inside the organization. There was a "real person" just waiting for a way to wriggle out, even though I didn't know it at the time.

Sometimes here or on other Internet sites we come across real hurting JW's. I think, no I KNOW - some of them can be helped if we remember that some of them will become just like we are someday, and that we can help grease the wheels with our humanity.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Nice to hear from you Gopher.

How can so much love and compassion come from an Atheist?!?

om

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thanks for posting a very insightful thread gopher. I find it frustrating when talking to a dub, because they are conditioned not to listen to logic or reason (it is all Satanic thinking of course), but I remember that the responses they give are the same I would have given a year ago.

• blondie
    blondie

Hi gopher, nice to see you posting again.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit