Does hell exist?

by notverylikely 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

Faith, by definition, is not based on "proof" (because then it would not be "faith" would it?) but it is based on evidences.

There is evidence, not proof, that Jesus is the Messiah and the Creator. There is evidence, not proof, that Jesus will deconstruct this present cursed universe and will create a new eternal one in which He, the Father, and all bellievers will live together forever (Revelation 20-22).

Similarly, there is evidence, not proof, that Hell is the ongoing eternal abode of unbelievers. Nothing there ceases to exist, not even its worms die, but neither do they live in any positive sense. That hapless eternal existence is called the second death for a reason.

Is it unfair that unbelievers should spend an eternity existing in Hell? Since unbelievers hate the holy God, they would find eternity with Him intolerable. Although they will find Hell terrible, it will be more acceptable to them than spending eternity with a God whom they hate. So, is giving unbelievers a more tolerable existence really unfair, or, is it merciful?

• undercover
    undercover
    Does hell exist?

Yes... It's a thread called, "Jehovah's Witnesses & Judging People"

Abandon hope all ye who enter there...

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Abandon hope all ye who enter there..

Actually, I found it somewhat amusing. I am trying to get him over here.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Similarly, there is evidence, not proof, that Hell is the ongoing eternal abode of unbelievers.

ev·i·dence

–noun 1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof. BTW, there is no actual plural for the word "evidence". It's call an unaccountable noun, the one word serves as both the singular and plural.

• EverAStudent
  • cantleave
    cantleave

Hell is a construct of primitive, despotic leaders to control the people by fear. The idea Satan and even God serves the same purpose.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

Forum crashed during my last post, so it came up blank. Sorry.

-----

Evidence : 1. sign or proof: something that gives a sign or proof of the existence or truth of something, or that helps somebody to come to a particular conclusion
    Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

proof [proof]
    n (plural proofs)
    1. conclusive evidence : evidence or an argument that serves to establish a fact or the truth of something

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Evidence is not the equivalent of proof. It is an indicator that leads toward a conclusion. Only when a piece of evidence, or an accumulation of evidence is unassailable, and therefore, conclusive, can it be seen as proof. But proof is in the eye of the decision-maker, the one who comes to a conclusion.

Evidence is rarely conclusive. A fingerprint on a door may tend to implicate a person as a robber, but the evidence is not conclusive. The fingerprint may be from the homeowner, the child of the house, the visiting neighbor, the police, a repairman, etc. Other evidence is needed to draw a conclusion.

Evidence of Hell in the Bible is just that. Evidence. It can become conclusive, and therefore proof for some individuals, but it is still just evidence until it is believed.

Personally, I believe the evidence in the Bible is overwhelming, and therefore proves there is a Hell, an eternal abode of the unbeliever who has rejected the authority of God.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

EverAStuden

Similarly, there is evidence, not proof, that Hell is the ongoing eternal abode of unbelievers.

I thought evidence was proof but then I am just a slave to Cesar.

I said this hell thing was complicated but having read your posts I realize that it is out of this world.

Hell of a good post though.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Hell is a construct of primitive, despotic leaders to control the people by fear. The idea Satan and even God serves the same purpose.

You could say the same thing about your parents when they down the rules that they expect you to follow. Or the same to a cop or judge when they expect you to follow the law.

Yiz

• The Finger

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit