Does hell exist?

by notverylikely 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I don't think there is any evidence or even proof of a literal hell of eternal, fiery torment. It contradicts any sense of justice... what would be the point in people suffering for eternity? Are they learning a lesson for their betterment? It also contradicts the laws of love and mercy.

But we can be in 'hell' now if we are separated from the love of God. The parable of Lazarus and the rich man more likely meant that the Kingdom of Heaven was being taken from the Pharisees/teachers/hypocrites in the law who had the kingdom and abused it; and then given to the poor man (humble in spirit, etc.) who would produce its fruit. Ie... care for the poor, show mercy and love, etc. The loss would be a torment... hence all those sayings about gnashing of teeth (envy/jealousy) for those thrown outside the kingdom.

Since Jesus came and condemned those hypocritical teachers, whilst favoring the poor and the sinners who were willing to hear his message, this seems to make more sense. At least to me.

Tammy

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Terry

You can tell an awful lot about a person by their SENSE of JUSTICE!

Yes, I agree, you can. Do you think that lethal injection is a "just" punishment for a person who tortures others, maybe for a lifetime?

What does eternal torture in Hell accomplish as far as JUSTICE is concerned?

A lifetime of wicked deeds is how many years at most? Yet, eternal punishment is an imbalance in either restoration or compensation for damage.

That's where you're wrong my friend. A person deserves hell because he is a sinner. What makes you think a sinner will stop sinning in hell? They will continue to sin for all eternity.

We have people who would never dream of water-boarding a terrorist because it is torture and good people (us, the good guys) should never sink to such methods to extract important information. Yet, many of those same people are okay with God doing far worse far longer.

I can think of situations where far worse things than water-boarding would be the fitting course of action. And that comes from someone who worked in criminal justice for 17years. So I seriously question anyones "SENSE of JUSTICE" that can't understand that.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Terry,

In other words, God is limited.

God can't engage a million conversation with a million topics with a million people all at the same time.

God can't see creation, the death of His Son on the Cross and the end of Earth's chapter all at the same time.

God can't sit on His Throne, be Jesus in the flesh and have his Holy Spirit hovering over the earth all at the same time?

Yiz

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

nothing exists except the natural universe.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    nothing exists except the natural universe.

And how does this natural universe get formed?

It can't be from nothing because nothing cannot form itself.

Yiz

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

joelingeorgia wrote: "nothing exists except the natural universe."

OK, let's assume that is true. Nature provides numerous examples that all natural things that exist had a definative beginning. Even the present natural universe is said to have been a ball of particles the size of a basketball when it began with a big bang. Yet, those natural particles must also have had a beginning.

Where did the particles (or the energy) come from? If the particles (or energy) always existed and always will exist, then they are eternal, and self-existant, that is, unnatural or supernatural, for there is nothing else like them in the nature that we can see and experience. Our experience indicates that energy dissipates from useful heat/work to absolute motionless cold. Particles/energy does not go on eternally.

Whether you believe in a supernatural self-existant God, or in a supernatural self-existant universe of particles (or energy), to say "nothing exists except the natural universe" really does not answer any genuine question.

The eternal self-existant does exist beyond our ability to see or experience. That is the very definition of supernatural.

• sspo
    sspo

It does exist.....

Was in it for 26 years with my ex jw wife.

There is hope for those that were in hell after all!

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Re: Does hell exist?

Yes, hell is Detroit, Michigan.

• Gregor
    Gregor

waiting on the Armageddon train for 35 yrs and counting is a pretty close match...

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

And how does this natural universe get formed?

It can't be from nothing because nothing cannot form itself.

Yiz

Not true. Einstein calculated that E=MC2. That....Energy = Mass x Speed of Light = a tangible item like a rock. The rock is a result of God using his pure energy to convert it to mass. Hence.....Earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit