I think I've reached that point in life where I hate my job and will always hate my job

by Elsewhere 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Elsewhere, I know how you feel. I was not counselled by my parents to 'follow my dream' or to 'do what you love'. I was told 'get a good job at a good company'. And I had to get away from the somewhat toxic environment developing in my parent's home.

Well, this 'good company' just packaged off my boss. I think my team is next. Maybe not right away but probably within the next year or so. I may be looking for a job. I am mentally preparing myself.

I have spent most of my career wondering why I'm doing what I'm doing when I don't find it fulfilling. At some point, the pain of the situation becomes more than one can bear and a change is made. But before we can do this, we have to figure out what we have to/need to/want to do and then build up the courage to act.

As one colleague once said to me: "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't." Uhhh... not so sure I agree with this.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

EW,

Your situation sounds similar to much of my Bethel "career". The demands, frustrations, and coworkers made me despise a job that I otherwise might have enjoyed. My survival mechanism was taking advantage of any opportunaties to find fulfillment outside of the job. Bethel was a terribly restricting way to live. But, I carved a measure of happiness and fulfillment and survived until I saw that little bit of happiness threatened by increasing demands by the bOrg. Since leaving, I created a fulfilling job I liked, but it doesn't make enough money and leaves be too tied to the "friends".

I'm back in school and look forward to getting work that pays better... someday. I'll be able to cast off the last shackles of bOrg and family control. I realize that there will be plenty more days I will hate going to work, but I've been through that already. I've developed enough coping mechanisms to deal with nutty coworkers, frustrating equipment, and demanding bosses. I can put up with a lot of crap in the "work zone", but once it starts crowding out my personal life, pursuits, and interests, that's when I scream "enough!" Yes, it's great when a job can be "fulfilling", but it's practical when a job pays well enough to have a life besides.

• moshe
    moshe

I know how you feel- I saw your soulmate yesterday in the park. No boss worries, no job, either.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Just be happy you have a job. The unemployment rate in the US is over 10%. Being unemployed is much more unpleasant.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I don't have a job anymore, but when I did before I moved to another state in January, I hated my job. I was a cab driver for 5 1/2 years. Believe me it sucked. I'm happy to say I have some prospects coming up. I'll be happy with a job where I don't have to deal with the dregs of the world every night. Drunk people piss me off.

I would love to have a job where I don't get emotionaly abused everytime I go to work. That is what cab driving is like.

• JAFO
    JAFO
    The unemployment rate in the US is over 10%.

Your govt. is lying to you.. the real unemployment rate in the US is more like 21%.

http://www.shadowstats.com/

• serendipity
    serendipity

Else,

We share a fantasy - winning the lottery. I ask myself what would I do if I won. I'd travel, read, write, garden, take cooking lessons and cook more, learn to play the piano and harp, volunteer (or maybe set up a foundation) and also learn how to paint and how to do other crafts.

I realized that I can do those things without winning the lottery- maybe not all at once, but at least some of them.

Corporations are soul killers. But for those of us who value security above all else (just barely in my case), they're the best means to fulfill that need, with less responsibility than entrepeneurship.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I've been in the bar/restaurant management line of work for 15 years now. I'm at the end of my rope too. The customer has become the enemy. I've had to put up with so much rude behavior from people that it's made me mean, like a dog that's been teased through the fence too much. I'm convinced that there are some people that go out to eat just for an excuse to belittle & torment their waitstaff. I hear quite often "every time we come to this place, the service is terrible and the food is awful". Why come back then, other than an excuse to bitch about something?

The other thng that has become so tiring is people with their little brats. They think it's precious when their little demon spawn is making a pile on the table from the salt & pepper shakers or tearing coasters into shreds and scattering them everywhere. Hey that's okay. I'll just clean that up for you. I'll just go ahead and pick up the Cheerios that your snotty little shit has flung into every corner of the establishment while screeching like a monkey. CONTROL YOUR EFFING CHILDREN PEOPLE!!!!

While I'm on my little tirade, I might as well mention one of my biggest pet peeves: Customers will always come in, pick up one of our free local newspapers, read it, then leave it on the table when they're done. Hey sure, I'll pick up after you. It's very demeaning when you feel like a SERVANT rather than a SERVER. There is a difference.

If you don't know how to act in public, you shouldn't go out to eat.

Of course, there are those folks that are courteous and polite. If you fall into this category, thank you. You make the other crap somewhat tolerable. But then, it seems that most of the time, these are people who work or have worked in the service industry. It should be a law that every adult should work as a server at least once in their lives just to see what these folks have to put up with.

Don't ever snap or whistle to get your server's attention either. That is the absolute WORST. I will refuse to wait on you of you act like that, as will just about every other person I know. One time, a guy grabbed my arm as I walked by his table because he wanted his iced tea (which was still 80% full) refilled. Don't EVER grab your server folks. I kicked that guy out, BTW.

....Wow. I feel better already....

• flipper
    flipper

ELSEWHERE- If you hate your job then is it possible to find a new line of employment which would interest you more ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• shamus100
    shamus100

Elsewhere,

I hate my job too. I'm never home, bored as hell, and need to win the lottery. I've resorted to purchasing lottery tickets now. That's pathetic.

I don't know what to say - you can come over and we can get drunk and kick the shit out of each other. Maybe that'll make you feel better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit