I think I've reached that point in life where I hate my job and will always hate my job

by Elsewhere 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Remember when you were a kid and you saw the funny bits in shows about how someone hates their job and just goes to work to pay the bills. I think I've reached that point in my life.

I hate my job.

I used to love the work I do... but the way a corporation crushes your soul and leaves you as an empty husk of your former self has finally taken its toll on me.

I used to look forward to the challenges of work... now I wake up, go to work, do what I have to do to get through the day and then go home.

It's totally absurd but I find myself literally fantasizing about winning the lottery so I can get my soul back.

• undercover
    undercover

I've been there. I quit and worked construction for awhile... kinda like Peter in Office Space.

But eventually I got back into my field but in a different area, so to speak and it's been pretty good. I'm not gonna ever be rich...hell, probably won't even be able to retire comfortably, but it is fulfilling and I have a lot of freedom.

It's tough right now, in this economy, but go ahead and get the resume up to date and start keeping a look out for something better. If you hate it that bad, there's gotta be something better, sooner or later.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Remember when you were a kid and you saw the funny bits in shows about how someone hates their job and just goes to work to pay the bills. I think I've reached that point in my life.

I hate my job.

I used to love the work I do... but the way a corporation crushes your soul and leaves you as an empty husk of your former self has finally taken its toll on me.

I used to look forward to the challenges of work... now I wake up, go to work, do what I have to do to get through the day and then go home.

It's totally absurd but I find myself literally fantasizing about winning the lottery so I can get my soul back.

My hubby says he could have written that! He hates his job and feels like his soul has been sucked out too.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Else-

Now that you have come to this realization, what are you going to do about it?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> what are you going to do about it?

I keep asking myself that question over and over.

Maybe I'll pile up all of my possessions and have a big bonfire... then become some sort of hippie who wonders around the world and never bathes.

The irony is that the job I have and the company I work for have a growing career path laid out for me. If I just stay here and keep doing what I'm doing I'll continue to be promoted and get paid more. I know people who would die to be in the position I’m in.

Is my soul worth a good career?

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Is my soul worth a good career?

Would the jobs in the succession plan make you happier or would you still feel the same? Also, are you fulfilled in other aspects of your life?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I wish I could be the type of person that could just go to work for a paycheck.

I will always work for less money if it means something to me to be there.

Something I want to jump out of bed and head out for the day!!!

I'll never be rich, but I'm basically happy.

Maybe it's time to think about becoming self-employed,

or maybe you'll get over this hump and there will be better days ahead where you are now.

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I don't think it's a career if you hate it.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Would the jobs in the succession plan make you happier or would you still feel the same?

Each promotion comes with more responsibility and more headaches.

> Also, are you fulfilled in other aspects of your life?

I do wonder if I'm not just depressed right now and my hating my job is just a symptom and not the underlying problem.

I usually become depressed when something in my life needs to change. I need to figure out what it is that needs to change.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Take a long vacation. You might also want to drink more and get laid more often. A happy personal life will take the edge off a bad professional life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit