The moment I knew it was crap....

by Brocephus 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nephilim
    Nephilim

!!!! Seriously !!! The red book is when my BS meter went off. I was a kid when the book came out and then on the 3rd reading I was sitting there actually paying attention and I couldn't believe how much they were embelishing off of one or two scriptures. The fact that they tie themselves to closely with that confusing prophecy is completely and utterly ridiculous.

I bet anyone of us could take certain scriptures from Revelation and make it seem to be a prohecy about our own lifes.

The vaguer the better!

• startingover
    startingover

Concerning Abaddon, from wikipedia: Identifying Abaddon The symbolism of Revelation 9:11 leaves the exact identification of Abaddon open for interpretation. Some bible scholars believe him to be the antichrist[9] or Satan.[10][11][12] In the past Jehovah's Witnesses shared the idea that Abaddon was Satan.[13] Modern Jehovah's Witnesses take the contrasting view, believing that Abaddon is a name given to Jesus.[14][15] References 1.^ KJV, Rev. 9:1-11. 2.^ See any Hebrew dictionary entry for Strong number 6; you can search for it using The Unbound Bible's lexicon search tool. 3.^ a b Davidson, Gustav (1994) [1967]. A Dictionary of Fallen Angels, Including the Fallen Angels. New York, NY: Macmillan, Inc.. ISBN 9780029070529. 4.^ Occultopedia article on Abaddon 5.^ Metzger & Coogan (1993) Oxford Companion to the Bible, p3. 6.^ The Legends of the Jews, volume II: From Joseph to Exodus, Lewis Ginzberg, 1909. 7.^ a b Atiya, Aziz S. The Coptic Encyclopedia. New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., 1991. ISBN 002897025X 8.^ Gospel of Bartholomew Featured as Abbaton 9.^ Matthew Henry Commentary on Revelation 9, accessed 15 April 2007 10.^ Jamieson, Robert; Fausset, A.R.; and Brown, David (2000-02-19). Commentary on Revelation 9. Blue Letter Bible. Retrieved on 2007-04-15 from http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/comm_read.pl?book=Rev&chapter=9&verse=11&Comm=Comm%2Fjfb%2FRev%2FRev009.html%2359238%26JF+%5E%26B&Select.x=24&Select.y=0. 11.^ Halley (2000) Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version, p936. 12.^ MacDonald (1995) Believer's Bible Commentary, p2366. 13.^ Charles Taze Russell’s Studies in the Scriptures, vol. 7, p. 159, 1917 edition 14.^ Insight on the Scriptures Page 12 15.^ Watchtower, Dec. 1, 1961, p. 719

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I though it was crap when I first went to high school and wondered why God would kill all these cool people. I knew it was crap during the 1995 generation change. I was convinced it was crap while "serving where the need is greater" overseas.

• highdose
    highdose

for me it was when the Isaiah books came out. and they had put the quoted scripture into bold writing and the explanation into normal writing. One tiny little scrap of scripture would be quoted and to follow there would be several paragraphs of explanation. i remember thinking "how on earth do you get all that from just a few words and not even the whole verse!?"

Then i also started hating the way it glorified the GB and the FDS, 1919 this and 1919 that in every stinking chapter! they may as well have called it " how to worship the GB rather than god"

• Caligula1
    Caligula1

Raised a Witness from birth...

I believed it was the truth. Lock..Stock..and Barrel.

I pushed the doubts back for many years. (...or thinking the "new light" will clear up my doubts).

I did not doubt the Revelation book. I wanted to understand and master it's concepts.

• hotspur
    hotspur

Followed it all - made it all fit.

Then along came the UN and SilentLambs

• designs
    designs

They should just schedule restudying the Revelation Book till nobody attends any longer.

'Do a little good each day'

• Dagney
    Dagney

1995 - uh oh...I think this really is crap

1/1/2000 - F Franz said the end would come before the end of the century. As we were all singing "Party like it's 1999" at the stroke of midnight, I'm thinking..."yep, now I know it really is crap."

• nugget
    nugget

It's funny there were lots of things that I knew were total BS. Back in the day when a sister had a talk explaining each creative day was 1000 years long was one. When I read in a magazine that radio carbon dating was too inaccurate to be able to trust for dates over 6,000 years old. The need to explain everything in minute detail and never accept that there were things they didn't know. That being said it is amazing how long you can keep sweeping the BS from the path and yet fail to notice it.

• designs
    designs

You mean Cleveland Ohio isn't special

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit