The moment I knew it was crap....

by Brocephus 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

Already had doubts from the time I got pubes... but I was about 15 and we were studying the revelation "book" for the upteenth time. I realized for every actual bible verse they qouted there was 2-3 paragraphs of conjecture, assumption, faulty logic and just plain stupidity. That's when I began to plan my escape. What about the rest of you? I was Mr. Exemplary too... Giving #3 and #4 talks at 14. Boo yaa... I was a giant in a land of midgets they should have known I'd be out of there soon. Thinking back... some did.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thinking back, yeah, studying the Revelation book set my bull shit detector off too.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

There is actually a page in my old book where I was 12 and doing the math of how old I would be if Armageddon came at 2000 (which I thought it might) I calculated I would have exactly 4 months of binge drinking and other immorality before I had to straighten up for God's big temper tantrum.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

LOL. I remember when we were studying the Revelation book about 10 years ago, looking around the rest of the group whilst a paragraph was being read and thinking, "Really? Does everyone believe this crap?"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

My favorite thing from the Revelation Climax book is what they have to say about:

Rev 9:7-11 And the likenesses of the locusts resembled horses prepared for battle; and upon their heads [were] what seemed to be crowns like gold, and their faces [were] as men’s faces, but they had hair as women’s hair. And their teeth were as those of lions; and they had breastplates like iron breastplates. And the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running into battle. Also, they have tails and stings like scorpions; and in their tails is their authority to hurt the men five months. They have over them a king, the angel of the abyss. In Hebrew his name is A·bad´don, but in Greek he has the name A·pol´lyon.

The book says that the locusts are the JWs. This brings up an interesting problem: This means that the king of JWs is Abaddon, also known as Satan.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

How did I miss that Elsewhere?!

• littlebird
    littlebird

The book says that the locusts are the JWs. This brings up an interesting problem: This means that the king of JWs is Abaddon, also known as Satan.

Wow! Good catch, Elsewhere.

It was finding out about the child abuse settlements on Nbc that did it for me, I never went to a meeting again.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Not to derail the thread but in JW theology Abaddon / Apollyon the destroyer is Jesus!

from the inshite book:

"(A?pol′lyon) [Destroyer].
    The Greek name used by the apostle John to translate the Hebrew “Abaddon” at Revelation 9:11. Apollyon means “Destroyer,” and is given as the name of “the angel of the abyss.” Though most reference works apply this name to some evil personage or force, the whole setting of the apocalyptic vision is to the contrary, as it consistently portrays angels being used by God to bring woes upon His enemies.
    blah blah blah... These and other texts point to the glorified Christ Jesus as the one referred to by this title.—Compare Re 19:11-16; Lu 8:31; see ABADDON.
  • sabastious
    sabastious

"angle of the abyss" - sounds like the devil to me.

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

When at a circuit assembly an entire talk was about the evil movie . . . . . . . E.T.! A puppet alien who likes Rieces Pieces candy is something every Christian should be cautious of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit