Difference between "raised in the truth" and "converts" that are now X-JWs.

by Brocephus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

I am noticing a difference....

"Raised in's" seem to be a little more relaxed and better suited for their world after the KH

"Converts" seem to be a little disoriented. Maybe b/c they saw the truth as away out of this crazy world only to be massive dissapointed. Just wondering as a convert, what was the most appealing aspect of "the truth" when you decided to join?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was raised in the cult, I am not sure if I am better suited for the world. I still have unreasonable hang-ups over some things that are really just normal behaviours. But then 42 years of indoctrination is bound to have some effect.

• looloo
    looloo

the "friends " that i could trust !(i was mistaken)

• ninja
    ninja

why are looloo and cantleave on the same thread....weird coincidence I s'pose

• zoiks
    zoiks

"Raised in's" seem to be a little more relaxed and better suited for their world after the KH

Maybe some of us are able to mask our inner turmoil with more success...

Not to sidetrack the discussion. I would like to see some converts' comments as well.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

Odd indeed...for absolutley no reason.

• blondie
    blondie

You left out one group, those who had one parent in and one not in, like me. My father was not a jw so we had a lot of leeway (although I know some jw women rule the roost where there is a non-jw husband).

• beksbks
    beksbks

Funny Bro I find it to be the opposite. The raised in's seem the most crazy effed up bunch....................

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Well I can only speak from one side of the fence, as a born in. Those that leave in their teen or shortly thereafter seem to adjust fairly quickly. If you don't figure it out and leave as a young person, it can really jack you up later. The fears and indoctrination instilled into your mind take years to unravel.

Flashbacks to JW-think persist all the time.

Something stupid like a movie trailer on TV. I'll be sitting there watching the preview and thinking that looks like a cool movie. Then I'll notice that I am waiting to find out if its an "R" rated movie! How messed up is that? Who cares? If I want to see that movie, what in the world should hold me back?

Sometimes its frustrating, annoying, just plain irritating to deal with the aftermath....converts often lament how they were tricked into the religion, born ins lament that they weren't smart enough to figure a way out of it earlier...

• yknot
    yknot

I am a born-in, I am not better equiped for the 'world' and it is downright terrifying at times.....(but getting better with each baby-step)

However after a lifetime of 'noo-light' I can laugh off some stuff probably easier than a convert because ultimately I didn't really 'choose' the WTS. In my experience with JW converts the hardest part is admitting they have been duped. People don't like to admit mistakes and they dig their heels in deeper into denial.

However since they came from the 'world' they tend to assimilate better after they 'reason' why they were attracted to the WTS message. Usually there was some sort of tragedy or period of being 'lost' when a JW first studied with them. They don't tend to have the nagging issues over holidays or other things banned by the WTS.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit