Difference between "raised in the truth" and "converts" that are now X-JWs.

by Brocephus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

I agree with you Lost Generation.... I got out with da quickness once I discovered what my penis was for. I got baptized before puberty or I never would have even though Dad was an Elder. I forget I ever was a witness sometimes around the family. I have to catch myself sometimes when I invite them out to do something forgetting it might go against their, bible I mean Watchtower trained conscience.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I think there is bigger difference between those who "really got the sense of it" and believed it, and those who were going through the motions.

Those who were born-in do not have a "pre-cult" personality.

So, IMHO, a born-in who was super zealous with WT may have a very difficult time making the adjustment. Everything post-WT is foreign to them.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Raised In`s are screwd up from the enviroment they were brought up in..

Converts actually joined the JW Cult..Thats really messed up!!..

LOL!!..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• JWoods
    JWoods

Even more messed up are people like me who were dragged in at about the age of 11 or 12 because their parents converted. You had a view of the outside, and even if you didn't like the JW thing, you were forced into it to your everlasting embarrasment at school.

And yes, you ended up getting about three quarters brainwashed anyway. But, somehow, at least for me - never really totally believing it all.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

So, IMHO, a born-in who was super zealous with WT may have a very difficult time making the adjustment. Everything post-WT is foreign to them.

Imagine waking up one day and finding out,nothing in the world you came from is real..

None of it..

Everything in Watchtower World is Bullshit..

Now you have to learn how the real world works..Something most people do,growing up..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• JWoods
    JWoods

And consider this, Outlaw - a born in, ultra-zealous JW, who was home-schooled, and went directly into pioneering and only worked nights for a JW contract janitorial service. Or directly into Bethel.

When this kind of person gets out of the JWs, and into the real world, it would be like being dropped on an alien planet!

• choosing life
    choosing life

I agree with LG, if a born-in leaves as a teenager, they seem to assimilate better into the normal world. The longer they are in, the harder it is to start over and buck the system. By the way, I never look to see the ratings of movies before I see them. I just go by interest.

I am a convert and I think having a "normal" life before becoming a witness is a nice bridge to cross back over on. I was attracted to the idea of an earthly paradise and wondering how to raise my child when I joined the madness. Instant friends you could trust, instant friends wherever you went, never going to die, what's not to like?

I also had a grounding in another religion before I joined and that actually helped me to leave. As I realized that the promises the witnesses made were false, it was easy to pick out the twisting of the scriptures they engaged in.

The hardest part, as anyone can see on here, is the turmoil within families that leaving causes. This can happen to born-ins and converts. The saddest ones are those that leave, yet still believe it all. They are in a state of constant turmoil.

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass
    "Raised in's" seem to be a little more relaxed and better suited for their world after the KH
    "Converts" seem to be a little disoriented.

I totally disagree with this statement. I don't see how someone who was raised in the organization their whole lives can be more suited for the world than a convert who spent more time in the world than in the organization.

Just wondering as a convert, what was the most appealing aspect of "the truth" when you decided to join?

The most appealing aspect for me was being around people who lived a clean life. Before I became a witness I didn't drink, smoke, have sex, watch movies,etc. Also the fact that they followed the Bible only(or so I though) was also very appealing. I started studying when I was 20, I was baptized at 21 and faded out 5 months later so it was pretty easy for me to adjust to no longer being a witness after only being in the organization for a year and a half.

• chigaimasmaro
    chigaimasmaro

LeavingWT - So, IMHO, a born-in who was super zealous with WT may have a very difficult time making the adjustment. Everything post-WT is foreign to them.

Outlaw - Now you have to learn how the real world works..Something most people do,growing up..

These statements ring very true in my case. Being a born-in for so many years, the real world doesnt feel strange, its euphorically new. Sometimes I tell the counselor that the stuff I go through on a daily basis now that I decided to fade away from the congregation makes me feel very child-like every now and again, even though I'm 32 years old. But when you are not allowed to think for yourself and your decisions are made for you from youth up, adjusting to the real world... its not easy when you have to do that while trying to live at the same speed that the majority of people are already used to. I think if a person isnt careful, it could lead to being very self destructive or isolating themselves because the learning curve from a born-in to being in the real world is steep and sometimes frightening.

• spawn
    spawn

I was a convert that believed all the bullshit I was told.

But when the rose coloured glasses started to clear and things came into focus I was off. Never again will I listen to Bullshit that comes from these people.

The one thing I got from the Borg was that God does not exsist and religion as a whole is one of the most evil and corrupt corporations in the world who are only after your money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit