Difference between "raised in the truth" and "converts" that are now X-JWs.

by Brocephus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

I was a born in,walked away age 58, I realise that I cannot erase the experience and memories, and some vestige of being a DumbDub is still with me I guess.

I always had a problem with believing it all, hence I was never known as a super enthusiastic Witless, hence too , I was never appointed an Elder.

I always felt more comfortable with non-Witnesses too, Dubs are hard work as people, I always had a few friends who were not Dubs, so I don't think I have had the same problem as some when making new friendships etc.

As a poster pointed out, I don't have a pre-Cult personality, but I do not think I ever had a Cult personality, I was just me, as I am now, which is why I was something of a Black Sheep to the Congregation.

Maybe if I had been a convert I would have got much deeper in, and maybe found more problems on leaving the cult.

I just LOVE being out, free and choosing my friends.

Love

Wobble

• nugget
    nugget

My mum converted when I was in pre school and was uber zealous for a while but quickly settled into standard R&F. My Dad never believed and placed restrictions on what meetings we could attend. He also made us go to school assemblies, celebrate Christmas, do RE and other non approved stuff. It meant that I was always pretty good at holding my own viewpoint on things whilst knowing how not to rock the boat. Fading has been fairly painless so far mentally. I was angry and disappointed but also strangely relieved that I didn't have to justify the craziness any more to myself and particularly my children.

My mum who converted knows that I am not wholely convinced about the Organisation, she wants to hang in there even though she accepts that the men at the top may not be wonderful after all. Her problem is the guilt of bringing her children into the cult and knowing that this may have been harmful. There is a lot more mental pain there for her and therefore it is harder for her to let go.

I don't think you can generalise about people since length of stay in the cult, how exited and under what circumstances, depth of involvement and whether children are involved may influence how well a person adjusts afterwards.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Born in. I quickly and quietly realised I had been led to believe the following crazy opinions (just a small sample) once I started work and spending time with worldlings:

Men were more important than women.

If left alone with anyone of the opposite sex - sex was going to happen and one would need to fight it off. (quite disappointed about this one ).

I wasn't going to leave school because Armageddon would arrive way before then so why bother getting good results?

I guess most will react slightly differently to the teachings and social dynamics so hard to compare.

MMXIV

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

I converted, and I think what appealed to me was the "did you know all the events you see today are foretold as occuring?" I was also an atheist and an ardent believer in an evolutionary explanation of life, but I can honestly say that the Witnesses presentation of how many prophecies they had "got right", and looking at the "track record" of the organisation convinced me that God was indeed using them.I wasn't aware then that there were different "track records", depending where you looked.

At the risk of repeating ad nauseam what has been said, I think it must be so hard for born-in's since many may not know anything else. And for converts, who now have to "go back", to the "wicked world" after thinking they had found the "answer".......well.

What a damaging religion.

PP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit