Was Jehovah God Ever Real To You?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I can understand why people might "love" Jesus. On the other hand, Jehovah isn't so lovable.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Yes, he was real to me, he is still real to me, but not the wt version.

• minimus
    minimus

Do you wish to elaborate?

• dandingus
    dandingus
    Was Jehovah God Ever Real To You?

Absolutely. The weird thing is that I kind of even miss feeling like he's there sometimes. I'm not saying he's not, but I can't prove to myself that he is. And thinking that he was watching over me and cared for me was comforting in many ways. He was as real to me as anyone I could see. When I prayed, I meant every word.

Jehovah was very real to me all my life. Then one day i found myself about to end it all and i realised that if Jehovah was there that he didn't care about me.

highdose, same thing happened to me.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Good question Oh Minimal One, and one of my biggest personal difficulties while in the jw religion - Jehovah didn't feel "real" to me. I couldn't come to grips with whether a "relationship" with him was a creation of my own mind or whether it could indeed be real. Prayer has always been a problem - communicating with someone who is invisible and with whom I had trouble relating was extremely problematic for me.

• Twitch
    Twitch

When I was a kid, yea, big J seemed real enough. Needless to say, it was all in my mind and I grew to discover that and not only for that particular "god".

I have enough imaginary frenz anyways,...

• undercover
    undercover

Having been raised as a dub, you would think that he was real to me...but like a couple others have already expressed, I had problems having 'him' feel real to me. Prayer was always hard...I felt like I was talking to nobody.

But - you go through the motions, thinking it's your own fault. You're not faithful enough or you're not living up to some standard. So you keep up the meetings, service, all that crap thinking that you'll turn the corner but you never do.

Then when other things come to light...WT scandals, false prophecy, ever changing doctrine and you realize that this religion is a sham, it falls into place. Jehovah isnt' real...he never was. I ignored my gut instinct that he wasn't real to believe in the fairy tale taught to me my entire life.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Not so much. I acted like he was, but I don't think I ever really felt it. When I would try to make a more personal relationship, my brain would short out thinking about "sis so&so" and her problems...he should be helping her. Or the starving kids in India, China, USA...wherever...he should be over there working on that...why would he ever help me with my problems when there were such larger ones. I would disconnect. It made no sense.

And I had a big disconnect with the angry mean god and the one that everyone was saying "is love." And the impending destruction of everything we knew...that fear was creepy.

After I left JW, I prayed mightily, and felt closer...now I don't think that was anything but me focusing on my issues,finally.

• pat1060
    pat1060

I think sometimes he would be real when I was doing good in service.When I wasn't doing so good he didn't seem very real.The confusing thing to me was every one in a religion had there god they talk to.Some claim he gets them through difficult times.This bothered me because he only helps JW's.If you believe something hard enough then he is real to you...

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes, Jehovah was always real to me. I'm fading, but I still pray to Jehovah. I guess a part of me still believes,while I'm dealing with all these doubts. I always thought that if it wasn't for my belief in Jehovah, I would have left the organization a long time ago. Well, I'm still sorting it all out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit