Jehovah's Witnesses and Amway

by paul from cleveland 22 Replies latest jw friends

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Am-way is an am-scay not an ult-cay.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Did anyone else know this about Amway? I didn't.

I only knew of one JW couple who sold Amway.

I never bought anything. It all seemed way over priced.

LL

• paladin
    paladin

I attended one of their meetings and I understood it was very much cult like and left the meeting. I wish I had known better about the WT$.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My ex was in most of the Multi level marketing plans there were. I was astounded that he could not see they were just using him, that you were simply buying overpriced soap, and the only people who where made any money were those ruthless enough to convince other people to buy overpriced soap then get their friends to buy overpriced soap. Shaklee, Amway, Melalueca, and a bunch of others. He never made a dime from any of them. They were all the same to me, I hated seeing our hard earned money be thrown away like that. I once had to tell him that if he ever said the word Amway in my presence I would leave him.

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

It did seem like a lot of jws did Amway, Rexall and Pre paid Legal as businesses. I always hated people in these businesses. They never shut up about it. Its all they ever talk about and its so boring. Any multi level marketing scheme (pyramid scheme) rubs me the wrong way.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I was a distributor back in the 90's. My upline was a witness and so were all of my fellow distributors. The person we got all our tapes from made all their money from the tapes and business building materials. They were relying on the witness leg to go "Ruby" but the entire line collapsed within a year. My ex and I even attended the big big meeting in DC. Lots of similarities to JW's. I still like Tri-zyme though. The rest was sooooo overpriced.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It did seem like a lot of jws did Amway,

Suckered into another get-rich-quik scam so they could pioneer.

To be successful in business takes investment. Time & money. Usually years of working with no profit.

Anything else is bullshit.

Most JWs are looking for something quick and easy and so are suckers for a promise that is too good to be true.

Fall for one. Fall for many.

Doc

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• sir82
    sir82

I love this point from one of the anti-Amway sites:

According to Amway, their annual sales amounts to about $7 billion and there are 3 million distributors. Thus, the average distributor's sales amounts to about $2,333/yr. If 30% of that is profit, the average distributor makes $700/yr. Klebniov claims that the average income is $780, but the average distributor buys $1,068 worth of Amway goods himself and also has expenses such as telephone bills, gas, motivational meetings, publicity material and other expenses to expand the business.

OK, so even if the numbers are a few years out of date, the scale is almost certainly consistent.

The average Amway salesperson loses at least $300 per year!

This information is readily available, and anyone with 3rd grade math skills (7 billion divided by 3 million) can see that it just can't work as advertised. But that doesn't stop 3 million people from trying it anyway.

The world is filled with nincompoops - JWs have no monopoly on the market. Even in the unlikely event of a sudden WT "collapse", most of its adherents would just find some other manipulative organization to glom onto.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I knew quite a few witnesses that sold Am-way, but I knew a lot more that sold Shak-lee. My parents sold it under another witness coouple. When I was 3 or 4, they wanted me to sing 9-5 at one of their Shaklee meeting because I was so cute when I sang it knew all the words. (Weren't we all at that age?) My mom had enough sense to say no. Thank you, mom!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit