Jehovah's "name" real or not?

by highdose 25 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

IS the name jehovah as gods name without dispute? Has the WTBS ever addmitted any where that gods name is not actauly known?

Need references for a project of mine please!

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Oops, I thought you said pronunciation. Sorry

• maputo95
    maputo95

I would say "Jehovah" is not real. It got into the Authorised Version four times because of error. The Hebrew language has no 'j' consonant. Jesus was Yahsua and Joel was 'Yowel' and 'Jehovah' is 'Yahweh'

The WT wants to separate itself from the King of False Religions so it goes to a lot of trouble to be contrary for contrary's sake. Jesus died on a stake, Jesus has short hair, no transfusions etc. This is pathetic attention-seeking.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Hi - Highdose

They have admitted that the name Jehovah is not the most accurate but continue to use this name because of peoples familiarity with it through out the centuries. In fact they admit that Yahweh is probably more accurate than Jehovah.

See 'The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures' (1985 edition) pages 10-12.

TE

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello HD,

Exodus 3:13-14 (English Standard Version)

13 Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" 14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Footnotes:

1. Exodus 3:14 Or I AM WHAT I AM, or I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE
    In the New Testament (we are still in it), the only name you need to know is this one.

Acts 4:10-12 (English Standard Version)

10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by him this man is standing before you well. 11 This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. 12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

Philippians 2:5-11 (English Standard Version)

5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Notice, verses 10-11 are a direct quote from Isaiah 45

Isaiah 45:14 (American Standard Version)

14 Thus saith Jehovah, The labor of Egypt, and the merchandise of Ethiopia, and the Sabeans, men of stature, shall come over unto thee, and they shall be thine: they shall go after thee, in chains they shall come over; and they shall fall down unto thee, they shall make supplication unto thee, saying, Surely God is in thee; and there is none else, there is no God.

Thus, the Father exalted the name of Jesus over that of Jehovah after Jesus went to the cross.

Now you won't hear that teaching in the kingdom halls but there it is, plain and simple.

Blesssings,

Stephen

• wobble
    wobble

The "Name" of god is a HUGE subject Highdose.

Do not get side-tracked by the JW subterfuge of pronunciation etc. There is no single name for Almighty God given in scripture that should be used ad nauseum as the Dubs use their poor transliteration, Jehovah.

This was invented by a 14th century Monk who did not realise that the vowels he was tanslating were there to remind the reader to say Adonay or Elohim, rather than pronounce what we believe to be probably something like "Yahweh" . The original vowels are unknown, so this is at best a guess.

Yahweh means He who makes it happen, so Yahweh of Armies, one of the names of God, means he was a warmonger, for example.Names in Hebrew were given because they meant something, told you something about the person, hence the change of name to one that did that better for Abram and Jacob.

If God had wanted us to know what the ineffable name was, he would have preserved it, as it is we are left with having a stab at Yahweh , but even that was only used by God as a tool in particular situations, God was probably simply El (as in El Shaddei a title really not a name) to the early tribes that became the people who produced Abraham.

The point is that we, (Christians) do not need another name, apart from the name Jesus which scripture shows should be used as Steven (Challam) shows above.

Love

Wobble

• rebel8
    rebel8

His real name is Rumplestiltskin.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nah uh, his real name is Bob.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Another thing to rember is that J is pronounced Y in english in many foreign languages so just because English Jehovah is pronounced as such it doesn't make it wrong since it's English translation, even though people like to argue it. Johannes Bach would be pronounced Yohanes but if he moved to States people most likely call him John instead unless he was anul about it and requested to be called Yohannes as an example. I don't get why people get so anul about pronouncing the name Jehovah instead of Yahweh, IMO it has the assosiation with wts rather than just being used a God's name in the bible. Yahweh doesn't even sound English.

Just my 2 cents

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The name Jehovah..

Is a Translation Mistake made by a Catholic Monk in the 14th century..

LOL!!..

The WBT$ would`nt have a Name for thier God,or Cult Religion(Jehovah`s Witness`s)..

If not for a Translation Mistake made by a Catholic Monk in the 14th Century..

That same Translation Mistake can be found Repeatedly,in the WBT$ Bible..

The WBT$ is run by Idiots..

.................. ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit