Jehovah's "name" real or not?

by highdose 25 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

The thing is that as far as we know there IS NO name for Almighty God, in the sense of a single word or two that are used as a personal name like I may use John and my wife may use Mary.

Can you imagine Angels in Heaven saying "Excuse me Jehovah" ? (The even more much used Dub expression "Jehovah God" sounds like a brand, i.e Mercedes car.)

We as humans seem to have to label everything, but Almighty God only needs to be known as that, and the only label we have is the Tetragram

YHWH.

The only personal name we need to use as Christians, is Jesus, as Challam has shown above, when talking of or to God the Father,call him that. Sovereign Lord is good too.

There is no "name" of God, there are 99 in Islam, the word Allah is not a name any more than is Yahweh or Jehovah.

Love

Wobble

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Did a search in Strong's Concordance one time and came across this little tidbit. I must say that I have had a difficult time praying to "Jehovah" since I read this. I guess that's why I don't really pray anymore, too confused.

"Some Christians, especially Jehovah's witnesses, use this name for the Heavenly Father. However, every scholar and every reference book I have ever checked on "Jehovah" (including Jehovah's witness tracts) has said that this is not the way you pronounce His name! First of all it is impossible because of the fact that the Hebrew language has no "J" sound! According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, 1991 under the heading "Yahweh", here is how this name came into being:

"The Masoretes, who from about the 6th to the 10th century worked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew word Adonai or Elohim. Thus the artificial name Jehovah (YeHoWaH) came into being."

So we see here one of many confirmations that the name Jehovah is not really His name at all! But it is a artificial name that was invented by man. Does man have the right to change the name of the one who created him? I think not! But that is exactly what has happened here.

Now let's look a little more deeply into this name Jehovah. Notice that many Hebrew names contain the first part of Yahweh's name which is Yah. This is true in the name Isa-YAH (Hebrew: YeshaYAH), which means "Yah is Salvation". Also in Jeremi-Yah (Hebrew: YermeYAH), Obadiah, Zechariah, and so on. Taking this knowledge, apply this to the name Je-hovah with Jeh being the first part of His name. First of all it doesn't add up when it comes to the names of these prophets. (Isaiah's name isn't IsaJEH) Second, the Hovah part of Je-hovah means RUIN and MISCHIEF in Hebrew according to Strong's Concordance #1943:

#1943 Hovah, another form for 1942; RUIN:-MISCHIEF"

• leec
    leec

The way it was explained to me when I was learning about JW beliefs, one should use his name as much as possible because it pleases him and is a way of being closer to him - being on familiar terms.

However, when I was listening to the last part of hobo ken's recording, it struck me how incredibly disingenuous this is. The way it winds up being realized, a JW strives to be heard by other people using the name Jehovah, so as to make a big public display of their intimacy with God. What a crock.

• shamus100
    shamus100
    one should use his name as much as possible because it pleases him and is a way of being closer to him - being on familiar terms

HAHAHAHA!

So your father you call by his first name? What, to be all chummy with him?

See how using the simplest logic is discouraged in this group?

What dubbies think: Well, old chap, we've seen this word for god being YHWH in the bible... let's change it and everywhere it says god we'll put in Jehovah even though it's Yahweh.

• Terry
    Terry

The strongest urge a human being can have is the urge to create.

We create life and call it Sex.

We create lies and call it Truth.

We create God and call it Jehovah.

Why are we always creating?

We are groping toward some distant light....we hope.

Jehovah is about as real as Romance or Happiness or Courage or Mystery.

'

If we give a name to the weather it makes us a little less afraid.

Jehovah is the thunder and the darkness and those flashes of light and the rumbling outside our room in the stillness of a lonely night.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah is the Thunder under your blankets..

While your sleeping off a Huge bowl of Hot Chili and 12 beer..

.............................. ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit