Christians: Is Military Service Wrong?

by leavingwt 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

Once upon a time Dwight, the son of a devout Bible Student/JW, rebelled against his mother's religion and went to West Point instead of dedicating his life to J. F. Rutherford's organization. Later he led the Allied armies that defeated Hitler's Wehrmacht and liberated the concentration camps where Witnesses were being held. How many more innocent lives would have been lost if General Eisenhower did not take up arms to oppose an evil madman?

And German & Italian Christians did not rebel against Hitler & Mussolini and killed Christian Allied troops and Jews in the concentration camps. See where the broad statment Christians: Is Military Service Wrong takes you.

Think About It

• yknot
    yknot

There is a whole lot of difference between defense and invasion.

In the same vein it is one thing to commit murder and quite another to kill an intruder who enters your home with intent to do harm.

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass
    Well, the NT is pretty silent about the subject.

I could of swore I read something about turning the other cheek, loving your enemies, and not taking revenge.

How many are living in a country that would exist if nations hadn't fought?

This is a foolish argument. Every country that exsist today would still exsist without war just under a different name. For example the United States would still be a part of England and would be doing a lot better.

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass
    There are certainly specific engagements that we could point to and agree would be unjustified/wrong.

Wars are never justifible. You can make a case for World War 2, but even then the Americans ended during just as much evil as the axis by dropping 2 atomic bombs on innocent civilians who had nothing to do with the war. That doesn't sound very Christ like to me. Joining the military will only put a Christian in place to do bad, never good.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Christians: Is Military Service Wrong?

leavingwt,

No. Cornelius was accepted into the faith while still in military service. Then there is Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. There are other texts some of which were used here to show what is expected of us. I was going to give a more detailed answer but no need. Simply know this, there is no way that we can help people gain salvation if everyone is enslaved. Our Lord expects us to use good judgment in such mattes but He also expects us to defend ourselves as He indicated at the last Passover. After all the Nations good or bad were created by him, and for him: And one way or another they are authorized keep the peace until returns even if it involves war. Col 1:16. Nothing has really changed when it was necessary in OT times and God assisted them when right. Was God wrong then in assisting such people even Nebuchadnezzar His servant for example? Many faithful ones died in such battles you know. But here we are as a result.

Joseph

• maputo95
    maputo95

There are many non-Witnesses who become conscientious objectors such as the quakers and there were the Seventh Day Adventists who joined up but in non-fighting units. Many Catholics took non-combative roles such as chaplains and medics. An example of this is John Bradburne of Mutemwa Mission,Zimbabwe who was a medic in the British Army in Burma during World War Two. During some fire fights between the British and Japanese, he went around, singing Bach, taking care of the wounded and dying from both sides. He was later murdered by a guerilla in Zimbabwe and many miracles are associated with him during his funeral and beyond the grave.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Wars are never justifible.

Interesting.

How about lethal force during self-defense? (Slightly off-topic, I realize.)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

JosephMalik:

No. Cornelius was accepted into the faith while still in military service. Then there is Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. There are other texts some of which were used here to show what is expected of us. I was going to give a more detailed answer but no need.

These are some of the points that I reviewed, upon leaving the JWs. The example of Cornelius seems clear cut, to me. Thank you for your comments.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

GLTirebiter -- Your comments reminded me of the Edmund Burke quote, " All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing ".

Blue Grass:

For example the United States would still be a part of England and would be doing a lot better.

That would be an interesting topic for a separate thread. I don't think I've ever heard that opinion expressed before.

Yknot:

There is a whole lot of difference between defense and invasion.
    In the same vein it is one thing to commit murder and quite another to kill an intruder who enters your home with intent to do harm.

You highlight the fact that not every situation is the same. So, do you agree with a blanket condemnation of combat military service for Christians?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

maputo95 -- Thank you for those interesting comments. I had not heard of Mr. Bradburne before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit