The Clear Biblical Case Against "The Memorial".

by Chalam 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I was going to ask about this. Thank you all for the scripture references and especially Stephen for starting this thread.

This is our first time to not attend the Memorial and even though I know it is the right thing to do, the indoctrination is still working overtime causing me to feel guity for it.

I don't know what's literal and what's metaphor at this point but it is nice to know that if my wife and I decide to partake that we can do it at any time.

How important is it to strictly buy the "right" bread and wine, do you all think? If it's a symbol and it is prayed over, then does it really matter?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The bread that Jesus used was passover bread and tghe wine was probably the typical strong wine with water mixed in of his time.

It doesn't matter what was used, the point is to remember Jesus and his willingness to share his last meal with th ose he loved.

He didn't die that day nor did he ascend, that was after, the last supper is, truly, all about his love for his friends, so much love that he shared his last meal with them.

A lesson for all of us in our DAILY lives.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Oh, by the way, you do notice that the OTHER thing Jesus did was/is never mentioned, you know, that little "insignificant" act of WASHING HIS DISCIPLES FEET !
    The Son of God, God in the person of his Son, the WORD of God, WASHING the feet of his friends.

Strange how that act is never focused on, ANYWHERE.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Mad Sweeney This is our first time to not attend the Memorial and even though I know it is the right thing to do, the indoctrination is still working overtime causing me to feel guity for it.

I am thrilled for you guys :) Don't worry about the guilt, it comes from the enemy

Hebrews 10:15-22 (New International Version)

15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
    16 "This is the covenant I will make with them
    after that time, says the Lord.
    I will put my laws in their hearts,
    and I will write them on their minds." 17 Then he adds:
    "Their sins and lawless acts
    I will remember no more." 18 And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin. 19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

How important is it to strictly buy the "right" bread and wine, do you all think?

First time I took the bread and wine (about four years or so back) it was actually minced pie and mulled wine!

If it's a symbol and it is prayed over, then does it really matter?

Mark 12:34 (New International Version)

34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God."

Every blessing in Christ :)

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

I just ran into these verses, they make the clear case against the WT and an explicit rebuttal of "the Memorial".

Colossians 2:16-23 (New International Version)

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. 19 He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20 Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 21 "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? 22 These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Verse 8 sums it up and 9 & 10 are pure gems :)

Colossians 2:8-10 (New International Version)

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

The reality is it doesn't matter how Communion or the Eucharist or 'The Table' is set or officiated, it been done dozens of ways by people all claiming some holy connection to the same Divine source.

Get a hint, God ain't that crazy or wierd or petty as all of these Denominations make him/her/it out to be.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello designs,

The reality is it doesn't matter how Communion or the Eucharist or 'The Table' is set or officiated, it been done dozens of ways by people all claiming some holy connection to the same Divine source.

I think you are missing the point here. The issue is that "the Memorial" is a non-communion, non-Eucharist, non-sacrament, non-event. No-one connects with the "Divine source" because they do not partake and indeed are warned not to do so. The JWs are told their "holy connection" to the "Divine source" is via the "F&DS" and the "anointed".

Whatever issue you have with their being different denominations, we all do the same thing, eat the bread, drink the wine and proclaim the Lord's death until He returns just like the bible says to.

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

Church History Stephen, your arguement is just a different version of the old Catholic/Protestant clash, is it transubstantiation or not, is it an Open Tabel or Not (as Calvin and Wesley differed on interpretation). The supposed Holy Spirit guiding people to different views, and in the process they butchered each other over these differences, shouting like Jihadists that the other party was going to Hell for not believing as they do.

What garbage you made of Christianity, it is now a laughable tragic joke because you Fundamentalists who can't see beyond the edge of your limited world views.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I get your point Designs :)

Have you got mine yet or are you really interested? It relates to what is being discussed here i.e. the clear biblical case against "the Memorial"?

Your M.O. is still that of an active JW and the WT, move the issue sideways, point the finger elsewhere and hope no-one notices the cracks and gaping holes.

If all else fails you can always play the Joker and blame "Satan" and "demons".

I think the "aces" you like to play are church history/denominationalism/fundamentalism/no truthism.

The WT like your first two aces very much too and always like to refer to "Christendom".

If I have made a mistake regarding your fourth ace, "no truthism" then it is high time you stood up an told us what we should have faith in rather than forever pointing out what we shouldn't.

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

Stephen, you can't figure out the Bible and you can't figure people either, nothing seems to fit into your myopic box, maybe its time you gave your conversion crusade a respite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit