The Clear Biblical Case Against "The Memorial".

by Chalam 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello JWNers,

I was reading Acts 20 the other day and noted how it makes a clear case against the annual "Memorial" as instructed by the WT.

Acts 20

Paul in Macedonia and Greece

6 but we sailed away from Philippi after the days of Unleavened Bread, and in five days we came to them at Troas, where we stayed for seven days.

Eutychus Raised from the Dead

7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight.

OK, Jesus celebrated Passover with the disciples, The Last Supper and thereafter was arrested, tried and killed.

Now, the WT case is that JWs celebrate the annual Jewish Passover as Jesus did with His disciples and that is the directive to proclaim the Lord's death until He comes1 Corinthians 11:26only on that day annually.

Of course, they do not eat the bread and drink the wine as per Jesus' command to His disciples but let us concern ourselves with the frequency of the event in this thread.

Now, reading Acts 20, the believers observed the seven days of the Unleavened Bread ( Exodus 12) and then set sail for Troas where they arrived in five days later.

Now, clearly, it was well after the Passover. However, on the first day of the week (Sunday) they gathered together to break bread!

Now this is the very directive of the Lord's Supper being observed, well after Passover by the early Christians showing that the WT are clearly wrong about only observing the Lord's supper annually.

1 Corinthians 11:23-24

23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

So what other evidence is there that the annual JW "Memorial" is wrong?

1 Corinthians 11

The Lord's Supper

17 But in the following instructions I do not commend you, because when you come together it is not for the better but for the worse. 18 For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part, 19 for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized. 20 When you come together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. 21 For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk.

Paul writes to the Corinthians meeting together as a church, which was obviously more than once a year Hebrews 10:25

However, once again they were clearly following directive of the Lord's supper, although not the spirit. Once again, clearly breaking bread, and drinking wine "proclaiming the Lord's death until He comes" far more often that once a year.

My own belief is that the WT do not like to draw attention to the sacrifice of Jesus for each of us personally, His death and certainly not His resurrection (bodily) and the question of "partaking" of either the symbols of the New Covenant or the covenant itself. Thus they keep their "Memorial" to the absolute minimum.

Anyhow, I hope to see the JW partakers rise once again this year as they wake up and realise the bible is indeed for them! As it is written

Ephesians 5:14 (New International Version)

14 for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
    "Wake up, O sleeper,
    rise from the dead,
    and Christ will shine on you."

Blessings,

Stephen

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I like what you say here especially 1 cor 17.

I also want to point out that Jesus said "keep doing this", where did he say that it must be done that same DAY yearly, and that it must be after sundown wherever you live? I got such a laugh out out watching someone run out side to make sure the sun had actually set. If they took it as seriously as they make it out to seem, then it would be after sundown in Jeresualm, no?

I mentioned this to my wife last year, becuase they had so much trouble fitting all the congreations into a building that had enough room.

They make such a point about the jewish days being sundown to sundown, why not have another meeting the next day before sundown?

If you have ever been in a large town, finding room for everyone is a big challange.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Good work. Thank you, Stephen!

• Chalam
    Chalam

I have made a few posts on the subject of "the Memorial" today and I thought I this thread.

Whilst the frequency of taking the bread and wine is discussed in the above post, I think there are more concise and obvious passages which are directly against the WT "Memorial".

John 6:53 (New International Version)

53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Loud and clear, no life in those who do not eat the bread and drink the wine of the new covenant.

John 6:54 (New International Version)

54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Once again, no place in the first resurrection (of the righteous Revelation 20:5-7) for those that do no not eat the bread and drink the wine of the new covenant.

Galatians 3:26-29 (New International Version)

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. Clear confirmation of the one flock, one shepherd John 10:16 one faith, one hope, one baptism etc. Ephesians 4:4-5 Blessings, Stephen
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thanks Stephen.

A point about Acts 20:6,

IF they celebrated the Lord's supper on the first day of Passover, as the JW's do, then HERE would have been the perfect time to mention this, I mean, how could Paul of NOT mentioned it or Luke have forgotten to write it down? the most important day for Christians !!

Did Luke write ( and Paul say) that

we sailed away from Philippi after the Lord's Supper and days of Unleavened Bread...

Nope he didn't say that, as a matter of fact he didn't mention it at all.

SHOCKING !!

That Paul, such an APOSTATE !!!

Obviously they didn't take the Lord's Supper on a SPECIFIC date but basically ALWAYS when they got togther.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Very good, Stephen!

It's not about Jesus; it's all about WT!

Sylvia

• restrangled
    restrangled

How much clearer could it be about the frequency?

1 Corinthians 11:25 NIV In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This is the new covenant in my blood; do this, wheneveryou drink it in remembrance of me."

1 Corinthians 11:25 NWT He did likewise respecting the cup also, after he had the evening meal, saying: "This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

This is the first time I have really researched this without JW glasses on, and am shocked at how off they are on so many levels about the last supper, including who should be partaking.

Thanks for starting this thread Chalam.

r.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I mentioned this in another thread, but the Last supper is really about sharing a special moment with those we love.

Jesus shared his last meal with those he loved, his closest friends and even the his betrayer ( isn't that just a Jesus thing to do?).

And when Jesus told them that when they did this to remember him, he meant that whenever they are together with th ose they love, to remember Jesus's last supper and that he chose to be with them and how much he loved US, not only them for he was going to sacrifice himself for ALL of US, not just his friends that left him to die on the cross.

The Last supper shoudl indeed be marked EVERYTIME we eat and everytime we get together with our loved ones because, not only does Jesus deserve that, but it may well be OUR last supper too, or the last supper of a loved one.

Sometimes we forget how mortal we are...

• restrangled
    restrangled

PSacramento,

"The Last supper shoudl indeed be marked EVERYTIME we eat and everytime we get together with our loved ones because, not only does Jesus deserve that, but it may well be OUR last supper too, or the last supper of a loved one.

Sometimes we forget how mortal we are..."

How true, how true!

r.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I will remember this for next year when they come to invite me. I will also spread it next year to everyone I know because I don't know of anyone who was not invited. And people asked me what they should say. I wish I had this to give them. Thanks so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit