My children's grandmother tries to keep them from getting their burned home repaired....

by HappyGuy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

There is always JW reasoning that could be used for grandma.

I hate trying to think dub thoughts, but here goes:

1. Jehovah can use any means he wishes to bring about his will.

2. Many times Jehovah has used something unclean to provide what his people have needed. Ex. according to JW's, the magi were atrologers and followed a star from Satan. In spite of their involvement with Satan, Joseph and Mary (who had God's son and his holy spirit) did not refuse them. They let them see the child and accepted the gifts offered to him. Why? No doubt it was for the journey they would be making to Egypt and they were poor and could use these gifts from God's enemies to support themselves on the journey. Your ex and her mother are no doubt then being blessed by Jehovah with unrighteous riches. Those far from God are being used by him to take care of his servants.

3. A prostitute was used to hide the Isrealite spies in Jherico. Would we fault God for having them enter a prostitutes home for protection? Surely entering it would be grounds for disfellowshipping, but God used her and saved her for her good work towards his people. She also came to be an ancestor of Christ. (I think I remembered that correctly!)

I am sorry you are suffering mentally and emotionally as your girls go through this. Thankfully they seem to have wonderful heads on their shoulders and a great work ethic! Keep encouraging them for us!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Happy Guy,

Any chance that the grandmother could be convinced to write the Watchtower to ask the "official position" on this dilemma. I think it would be good to get it in writing. If they defer the answer to being a "conscience matter" then maybe grandma could take it to the local elders. Have them put it in writing that she would not be Df'd for accepting this help.

If she can't be convinced to "confirm her opinion" as official stance by the org., then give her a blanket and a shaving kit (or whatever you call the equivalent tools for old ladies.)

And another thing---callous does not describe me. I was using sarcasm to reveal the absurdity and arrogance.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Cameo,

I dont know the woman is pretty batty and stubborn. And she hasn't been to meetings in years and is old school, she is 80 and learned the "truth" back in the "religion is a snare and a racket days". Besides my children don't have time for her to go through all that correspondence with "headquarters", it isn't their concern anyway.

Since the house does not belong to her and she has no say in who fixes it I cannot begin to imagine why this is an issue.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

God Cares for the Elderly – Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Love in Action

Among Jehovah’s Witnesses, congregation elders take the lead in showing regard for the elderly. They take seriously the apostle Peter’s admonition: “Shepherd the flock of God in your care.” (1 Peter 5:2) Caring for the elderly in practical ways is part of taking care of God’s flock. What, though, might this involve?

It takes patience and possibly a number of visits and chats to ascertain the full extent of the needs of an elderly person. Perhaps assistance is needed with shopping and cleaning, with transportation to Christian meetings, with reading the Bible and Christian publications, and with a host of other things. Wherever possible, practical and reliable arrangements should be worked out and implemented.%

What, though, if an older brother or sister in the congregation is in dire straits, perhaps needing financial assistance? First, it would be good to find out if there are children or other relatives who can help. This would be in line with what is stated at 1 Timothy 5:4: “If any widow has children or grandchildren, let these learn first to practice godly devotion in their own household and to keep paying a due compensation to their parents and grandparents, for this is acceptable in God’s sight.”

It may be that the elderly one needs assistance in determining if he or she is eligible for any provisions that the government makes available. Perhaps some in the congregation would be able to help. If none of these avenues are open, the elders could determine if the individual qualifies for assistance from the congregation. In some cases, this was permitted in the first-century congregation, for the apostle Paul wrote to his coworker Timothy: “Let a widow be put on the list who has become not less than sixty years old, a wife of one husband, having a witness borne to her for fine works, if she reared children, if she entertained strangers, if she washed the feet of holy ones, if she relieved those in tribulation, if she diligently followed every good work.”—1 Timothy 5:9, 10.

% For further consideration, see the article “Meeting the Needs of Our Older Ones—A Christian Challenge,” in the July 15, 1988, issue of The Watchtower.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Habitat does not discuss religion with the people they help. The volunteers that run the organization are Christians

I will vouch for that, having helped our local chapter. Habitat for Humanity strictly follows their own anti-discrimination policies, beyond the letter of the law. The selection committee does not ask and does not consider the religion of the applicants, only their need for a home, their ability to repay the no-interest mortgage, and willingness to contribute "sweat equity" for the down payment. Their mision is to help families who can own a home with Habitat's assistance, but couldn't otherwise. Habitat is an ecumenical Christian organization, with volunteers who are mainline Protestants, Evangelicals, Catholics, and yes JWs are welcome too. What matters is doing good for others in need, not your denomination.

GLT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit