I Wish People Would Stop Calling It The Truth

by Quillsky 40 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I haven't called it "the truth" in a long time. When my mother does it I very discreetly roll my eyes.

• flipper
    flipper

QUILLSKY- It takes time for people exiting the witnesses to understand WHAT CAUSES THEM to still use witness terms like " the truth". Unless a person educates themselves on how the WT society used catch phrases and loaded language to deceive it's members - ex-witnesses will continue using such terms and expressions because the mind control hasn't fully left them yet. For some it takes longer than others. I stopped using it within the first year of being out- and I've been out over 6 years. Just try to encourage people to see how they were duped by such talk- then they'll get the hint to research it and understand what caused them to be deceived. Some ex-witnesses STILL don't realize they WERE deceived. That's part of the problem

• wobble
    wobble

My Sister-in Law,never baptised,who left the religion at age 18 ,over 40 years ago, still uses the expression !

I correct her, and she just laughs and says it is "shorthand" , so I reply, Cult is just as short, use that.

Love

Wobble

• Farkel
    Farkel

:i Wish People Would Stop Calling It The Truth

You mean it isn't?

Farkel

• musky
    musky

Jesus said "I am the way and the truth and the life".

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Jesus said "I am the way and the truth and the life".

The dozens of millions of people who died at the hands of his followers over the centuries would beg to differ.

Farkel

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

It's hard to change bad habits. I still say Jehovah. I hate that I can't get a lot of their terminology out of my brain. I still refer to some of the dubs as "Brother" and "Sister" so and so. They're not any kin to me! *sigh* I need another "brain washing" to scrub those terms out!

I feel your pain!

• TD
    TD

Calling a belief system, "The truth" is at least a correct usage of word.

Why do some insist on treating "Truth" as a tangible object that you can "Have" or "Be in?"

We have the truth

Are you in the truth?

Is he active in the truth?

How is your family doing in the truth?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

As many have already said, it is both a habit and a "trademark".

I don't call it that anymore, but when I was transitioning, I often called it "The Troothâ„¢". Of course I don't believe in the Trooth Fairy any more.

No one means any harm by inadvertently using the term. We have to give people time and space to change their ideation.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

It's a habit thing, and it goes beyond just a habit, really. I mean, I heard it from birth. It takes time to undo that. I get annoyed/upset when I notice I've said it, but it is becoming less and less often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit