I Wish People Would Stop Calling It The Truth

by Quillsky 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Why do you call it "the truth"? Even after you leave??

It's wrong on so many levels. When I read or hear "the truth" it makes my skin itch and I feel like hitting someone.

Cult.

• asilentone
    asilentone

it is just a trademark.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I point it out when ex-JW's say it in person. I simply say "I can no longer call it "the truth" without pausing for emphasis and holding my hands up and making quote marks OR turning it into a joke somehow."

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

It's just a habit for many of us. I got out of the habit after about 6 months.

LD

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

a bug bear of mine, after a while folks soon drop it

• Heaven
    Heaven

I use it sarcastically but you can't hear that on the forum. How do you suggest we type it to show this?

Maybe something like: *The Truth ?* OR The Truth OR The Tru?h .

I've seen some here type it as 'De Troof'.

I think it's helpful to continue using it, to a degree, as this can help those searching for it on the web. The more people we can educate about the fallacies the better.

• RR
    RR

Actually the Witnesses aren't the only ones who call their theology "The Truth", I have heard several groups, large and small refer to their way of beliefs as "the Truth."

Maybe we should call it "datroof"

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It is Duh Troof! ..

Cuz nobudy I ever seen..

Sez so!!.

Weall er gussyed up in aur Sonday gota meet`n cloth`s...

Haad`n fer the Kingdum Haul..

Cuz thats were they keep Duh Troof..

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq249/pennys-world/Comments/family/hillbillies-1.gif

Thancs ta reed`n the Wautchtoweer..

We gota Colege Ejucashun!..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• Gayle
    Gayle

For us it is a "tongue in cheek" phrase'

Tongue-in-cheek is a term used to refer to humour in which a statement, or an entire fictional work, is not meant to be taken seriously, but its sarcasm is subtle. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "Ironic, slyly humorous; not meant to be taken seriously".

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Da Tooth!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit