Moscow officials to evict Jehovah's Witnesses from Moscow estate

by Mythbuster 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100203/157764392.html

Officials plan to evict a branch of the Jehovah's Witnesses from an 18th century estate in northern Moscow, the prefect of Moscow's northern district, Oleg Mitvol, said on Wednesday.

Mitvol claimed the Mikhalkovo Estate with nearly 100 hectares was illegally privatized by a Moscow cotton factory and later sold to the Jehovah's Witnesses. The estate is estimated to be worth $350 million.

"We have been receiving continual complaints from veterans that the historic building on Mikhalkovskaya Street currently houses a branch of the Jehovah's Witnesses," he added.

Russia considers Jehovah's Witnesses a religious sect and its activities therefore illegal. Russia officially recognizes Russian Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Buddhism, Islam, and Judaism as the main religions of Russia, though other religions also are present.

Officials are hoping to move the organization from the mansion and its land by May 9, and build a community center for the disabled there by 2012.

Legal proceedings are now under way.

MOSCOW, February 3 (RIA Novosti)

• metatron
    metatron

Exactly. Don't waste resources putting Witnesses in prison. Take the cult's property.

metatron

• freeman
    freeman

Wow those Russians don’t mess around.

This is not entirely related but it was announced that CBS News has now closed their Moscow bureau.

While small in stature and staff, the Moscow news bureau held a special place of importance to CBS. While the shuttering of the Moscow bureau was economic in nature, and not over any religious or philosophical differences (CBS News and the former soviets shared a kindred world view and spirit), the closure was nonetheless painful for all.

Freeman

• JWoods
    JWoods

The witnesses in Russia (- I assume money coming from international WTS) actually PAID around $350,000,000 for a Russian Bethel???

How many witnesses in Russia? That must be several thousand dollars a head!

• teel
    teel

153.000 peak in Russia in 2008, that would be $2287 per russian witness. The estate was estimated to worth that much, but maybe it was bought soon after the political turmoil in '91 for a lot less.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Jwoods, it says it's worth $350,000. I don't think they are going to get their money back.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Thanks, teel. About what I was guessing...wonder if they get back whatever the WTS paid for it? I would imagine not - given their illegal status.

It is strange, (no?) that the WTS seems to place all their aspirations in any new major country into building the biggest possible Bethel or Branch that they can (just like any other church) and that then later they often end up downsizing or closing them.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The estate is estimated to be worth $350 million.

That was where I got my number - the original post, Mythbuster. It does seem like a lot - $350m...I'd think $350K would hardly measure up to society scales of grandeur, but am still surprised at $350m.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Lets hope they don't get any money back that would be a big loss for the WT publishing company.

Look like more down sizing is in the cards for the WT corporation. 2010 fiscal year.

http://governingbodyletters.blogspot.com/2009/05/spanish-jws-upset-over-bethel-move.html

• JWoods
    JWoods

Not to mention the same thing in Japan as there was in Spain...and now apparantly Russia (but not voluntary on the part of the JWs).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit