How long before you stopped believing armageddon was on your doorstep?

by bubba flavel 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• JeffT
    JeffT

Several years before I left.

• not sure yet
    not sure yet

Right after 1975 passed, but I did not leave yet, I'm still in.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Right after 1975 passed, but I did not leave yet, I'm still in.

I was convinced at least 3 years before 1975 that nothing was going to happen. And, I was not the only one - there were a number of statements made from the platform that attempted to water down the expectations prior to 1975. My personal opinion is that less than half of the JWs actually have much confidence in seeing armageddon - they are just repeating the words about it, but privately don't expect it anytime soon.

• highdose
    highdose

it was years ago while i was still in , probably like many JW's

• blondie
    blondie

I never worried. I grew up in an abusive household....I did not have to wait for Armageddon, I lived in it every day.

Also, I felt I was sincere and did not worry about measuring up to human standards. I figured God could read minds and hearts, and that jws including elders could not.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I also was born in (a number of years before 1964, though).

I watched 1975 appriach with actual interest - what was it going to be like, this End of this System of Things?

I feared nothing about it. I had been baptized at 9, was mostly dissociative (psychologically) from the horrors of my childhood, and was ready to start petting my lion.

By 1977 (allowing Jehovah two years to have gotten around to creating Eve and calling it a Day), I had decided Armageddon probably wasn't coming, and probably by the early 1980s it was out of my system for good.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

still believed it would come but not so urgent, I was giving it about 10-15 years.

1983, really changed my mind to, it wasn't going to happen, but hung around way too long.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

14 years before I got a clue

• Dagney
    Dagney

When the world didn't explode at the close of the last century, I knew it was a cruel joke to keep the R & F in fear and under controle. I was outta there.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

When, through much internet research, I discovered alternative interpretations on Matthew 24, Luke 21 and Mark 13 that made a lot more sense. Also, when I discovered John Denton's research on www.tangotango.org.uk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit