Jehovah's Witness warning: "Watch out for the movie Avatar".

by Cindi_67 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Some dubs are just "over zealous" and love telling others what to do ..I used to hate that when I was in, and tried to work into talks and items the "counsel" not to do it. The only thing that I can remember them officially naming and shaming was the T V series "Dallas" back in the '80's . I never knew why, we used to like it..........

• highdose
    highdose

get a life you stupid brain washed morons!

Sooner or later they might ban breathing as well... after all the pagans did it!!

• villabolo
    villabolo

I should have thought of this sooner.

An Avatar is, in the original sense of the word, an incarnation of a Hindu god. The god simply assumes a body to mingle with the humans I presume. However, the meaning of the word can be generalized to any religion, whether or not the actual word is used.

Therefore, theological nitpickery not withstanding, is not the Bible's concept of the incarnation of Jesus a form of Avatar?

villabolo

• boolatte
    boolatte

Typical JW. DUH...all words have origins! They can research and dig around to find something demonic or pagan or evil... in EVERYTHING! BUT... they are too damn afraid to research the history and past teaching of the WT! WHACK JOBS!

Family fun night at their house must be a hoot!

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

An Avatar is, in the original sense of the word, an incarnation of a Hindu god. The god simply assumes a body to mingle with the humans I presume.

Your comment makes me think about angels coming down to earth and taking in human bodies. All these religions are either a copy of the "original" or have taken in teachings or influences with the teachings of God's "chosen people" the israelites. That is why I do not get so concern anymore about certain rituals and beliefs of certain religions, all come from the same place. JW's just chose to call them paganism because these practices are more marked on "pagan" religions. But if you do your research, they all come from the same place, and it is not from pagan practices, they come from "jewish" practices and beliefs .

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

Villabolo:

"An Avatar is, in the original sense of the word, an incarnation of a Hindu god. The god simply assumes a body to mingle with the humans I presume."

Your comment makes me think about angels coming down to earth and taking in human bodies. All these religions are either a copy of the "original" or have taken in teachings or influences with the teachings of God's "chosen people" the israelites. That is why I do not get so concern anymore about certain rituals and beliefs of certain religions, all come from the same place. JW's just chose to call them paganism because these practices are more marked on "pagan" religions. But if you do your research, they all come from the same place, and it is not from pagan practices, they come from "jewish" practices and beliefs .

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

I bet he read his lovely Bible to guide him not to watch avatar....It's funny how JWs are made to feel guilty about watching movies like avatar, where the violence is tame and cartoonish, or movies like Titanic, which have very mild and fairly innocent nudity, but they are constantly exhorted to read the Bible which is packed full of horrific, blood-curdling acts of violence and sexual perversion! Honestly, if a film director made a candid and objective version of the Bible(even following the NWT version to the letter), which showed ALL the events written within its pages, how many JWs would be allowed to watch it?? It would either be rated 18, with a special advisory warning, or it would be banned altogether in the name of decency! You would see 'righteous men' ordering the slaughter of little boys and sexual slavery of little girls (Moses), offering their daughters up to sex-crazed mobs (Lot) and then later having sex with them (Lot again!), accruing hundreds and hundreds of young girls as sexual partners for themselves (Solomon), committing genocide (Joshua), seducing women and then murdering their husbands (David), and many many more heart-warming tales of love and joy...

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

We all know the real reason for the animosity towards the Avatar movie.

It is set in the Alpha Centauri star system.

The Watchtower promotes obedience to a deity from the Pleiades star cluster, specific to Alcyone. They can not allow for people to be watching movies that promote being from the wrong star system.

• leec
    leec

1. If the opportunity arose I'd probably have seen it, but I haven't seen the movie, and I really don't care that much either way whether or not I do.

2. This thread is GOLD. The part about the "Xbox" is pure genius.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit